1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Sending Unit

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by AJ94RAM, Jun 13, 2008.

1. AJ94RAM

AJ94RAM Junior Member

The Nipple Of The Sending Unit That Your Fuel Connects To Broke Off, Any Other Way To Fix Beside Dropping The Tank. Also, When It Got Towed Home, When The Tow Truck Started To Put In Driveway, I Noticed The Reverse Light On, Towed It With Front End Lifted, Must Of Been In Reverse, Did'nt Go Above 30mph. Now I'm Wondering If Its Even Worth Fixing Sending Unit If Tranny Got F Up. Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What kind of truck?

What year?

How far was it towed with it in reverse?

3. AJ94RAM

AJ94RAM Junior Member

It's A 94 Dodge Ram 2500, It Was Towed About 5-7miles Most.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok just didn't want to assume based on your user name. :waving:

The broken fuel line port on the sender would require dropping the tank (or removing the bed which is generally easier) and replacing the sender unit assembly as I'd never recommend a "patch job" when dealing with gas or fuel supply...and especially so on the high pressure side.

As to trans damage....

If it was only towed 5-7 miles and under 30 mph more than likely it's fine and didn't do harm to the trans since without the engine running the trans has no fluid pressure to actually apply the reverse gear clutches so it wouldn't actually be in reverse. And in that short trip wouldn't cause a problem due to lack of lubrication either.

5. AJ94RAM

AJ94RAM Junior Member

Thanks, The Other Thing That I Just Realized Is The Transfer Case Was Left In 2 High, Not In Nuetral. Would Gthat Make A Difference?

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I replaced one on my '87 Ram withouth dropping the tank of taking off the bed, but it had a 3" body lift lol.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It would have if it had been shifted to nuetral...since if course there'd be no question now after the fact about creating any wear or damage to the trans.

But either way like previously mentioned, since it was only for a short distance it should be just fine. If it would have been towed for 50 miles at highway speeds then I'd be concerned.

8. AJ94RAM

AJ94RAM Junior Member

Thanks, That Takes A Lot Of Pressure Off. Now I Can Concentrate On The Original Problem, The Sending Unit. I Saw One Done Where They Cut A Hole In The Bed To Get At It. Really Just Thinking Of Selling It, Also Going To Have To Do Front U-joints, They Started Popping On The Last Snow Fall When In 4 Wheel. Really Don't Want To Keep Sinking Money Into It, Put A Thousand In Just Before Winter, And Now This. Might Be Time To Get Out Of Plowing. But Again, Thanks

9. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Thats the beauty of body lifts makes working on trucks so much easier.

10. FordPlow

FordPlow Junior Member

Cut a hole in the bed--------------it is rusty anyways and you can put sheet metal over the hole.

11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

That is pretty much the only reason I liked that body lift. I could sit under the truck with my back straight up. Made it nice seeing that I ALWAYS worked on that truck. Everytime I got it running it would break down.:gunsfiring:

12. festerw

festerw Senior Member

As long as there's not a full tank of fuel it's not that big of a deal to drop the tank, hose the strap bolts down with your favorite brand of rust penetrator for a few days and you should be set.

I just did the pump assembly in my Dakota the sender was 70 some dealer only part and a new lifetime warranty pump was 160.

13. FordPlow

FordPlow Junior Member

I've seen the truck-----you would have to soak in rust penetrator for at least a MONTH if not more----Then again I think rust is what holds the truck together.
    :waving::gunsfiring: