1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Pump

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bike5200, Apr 30, 2008.

1. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

On my "01" HD 8.1L the fuel pump is making a whining noise ever now and then. The truck has 109 thousand miles on it. Is the pump going out or did I just notice the noise?

2. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I've got a 2000 1/2 ton 5.3 and my fuel pump made that whining noise for about 3 years, then the fuel gauge started going whacky on me last summer. Finally in December the fuel pump let go, now the fuel gauge works again and no whining noise. I'd say yours could be going, but who knows how long before she gives up. Could go another couple years yet.

Buck

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I think all the fuel pumps in Chevy's have a hum to them. Mine does it on my 6.0 My guess is if it starts to get real loud or the sound changes alot, it is prolly on its way outta here

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe not all of them, but many of them yes. :realmad:

And like Buck mentioned, it's the luck of the draw...may make noise for years before giving in....or may die tomorrow.

If your a PM kinda guy, change it out now.

And if you have triple A....ignore it. :D

5. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

So it's a roll of the dice on what will happen. I travel out of town for some of my work and if it goes out then it would be real expensive to get my truck home and get it fixed. I could lose 2 days of work. My truck has a utility bed on it, so I guess this week end I will be cutting a access hole in the floor of the bed to get to the pump.Called the Chevy dealer, fuel pump are not cheap have to buy pump and sending unit as one piece. $347.00.

6. Up North

Up North Senior Member

that's actually a pretty good price, I paid over $400 for mine. For what it's worth, I'd drop the gas tank before cutting through the floor of the bed to make the repair.

Buck

7. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Buck, I am going to cut the hole. I plan on welding some metal on the edges of the cut and screwing the plate back into the opening. In the future if I need to access the fuel pump, take out a few screws and I am there. I love my work truck, plan on driving it till the wheels fall off, then I will probably put them back on and drive some more. I can get a replacement engine from GM and I bought a Allison transmission and Transfer case from a friend of mine just in case I need one.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure to cut the hole large enough. The sender need some room to come out of the tank. :nod:

9. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

It's going to be hard to get the right location, so the hole will be big.

10. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

When you pull the sending unit and fuel pump out of the tank, do you have to roll it to one side to get it out or does it come straight out of the tank?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You have to pull the sender/pump assembly straight up most of the way out, and then tip it nearly 90 deg in order to get the float/float arm up through the opening in the tank. May or may not be do-able depending on how far above the tank the bottom of the bed floor is. Could take a size-able hole...:nod:

General rule of thumb:

Pickup beds, I pull the bed...

Utilities, I drop the tank. :nod: