1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fuel pump sending unit

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by mike1399, Mar 20, 2016.

1. mike1399

mike1399 Junior Member

I just replaced my fuel sending unit and when I start the truck it kicks on then goes quite. But then kicks on and stays on while at idke or driving. Any thoughts would he great.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

What's the question

3. mike1399

mike1399 Junior Member

Why is it humming all the time. It's very noticeable

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Cause the pumps is running.

5. mike1399

mike1399 Junior Member

I know that but I never heard a pump run this loud before.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well you said you replaced the sending unit, do you were in there, did you install it correctly? Any broken clips, mounts? Was it in a bind at all?

7. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Did you replace the sending unit (the float in the tank that controls the fuel gauge) or the fuel pump? IF you replaced the pump, did you buy factory Dodge or use aftermarket? Some cheap aftermarket fuel pumps are really noisy. When I worked as a mechanic, depending on where we bought the pump, we would get comebacks with customers complaining about noisy pumps.

8. mike1399

mike1399 Junior Member

Yes I put it in correctly. And replaced all clips with new ones.

9. mike1399

mike1399 Junior Member

The whole sending unit I used a Napa one this time. The other was a auto zone it only lasted an 1 year. Only bought them both cause they were in stock and both right before a snow storm. But should I worry about it being loud. An buy a oem from dodge
    And replace it soon

10. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

It's been awhile (10 yrs) since I worked on cars for a living, but if my memory serves me correct, I believe that Napa was where we got the ones that led to all the comebacks for noise. Most were so loud (basically you couldn't drive without the radio on to drown out the noise) that they never stayed in the vehicle long enough for us to see how long they lasted because the customer basically wouldn't take their car back until it was replaced again with a quiet pump, :realmad: (don't blame them, I wouldn't have it in my car either, but unfortunately, a lot of my bosses decisions were based on profit as apposed to what was right.) :dizzy::dizzy:

11. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Year, model? What was the make of the pump? Airtex?

12. mike1399

mike1399 Junior Member

The noise don't bug me I hv no cats in it so I don't hear it unless I get out.

13. mike1399

mike1399 Junior Member

06 2500 I think it was a airtex