1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fuel pump problem???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by nicole0102, Dec 16, 2005.

1. nicole0102

nicole0102 Junior Member

Hi,just wondering if someone can give me a little advice.
    Fuel gage is acting up, it will be on empty then full, could this be a fuel pump problem? The truck is a 2000 2500 silverado 6.0 and it does have 200,000 miles on it.
    Thanks!!

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Have you checked your fuel pressure? The sender sensor in the tank is probably bad. 200K - hope you kept up on the injectors too.

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

This is a known problem with the new body style GMs. You have to drop the tank or remove the bed to replace. This has no bearing on the fuel pump, but should go ahead and replace it while you have it out...

4. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

we had a 99 that started doing the same thing and a month later the pump went. Chances are it was coincidence but i would swap it out. Not worth the aggrivation of losing the pump.

PS that truck had just over 100K on it

5. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

You have a bad fuel level sender. Pull the bed and you can have it changed in about an hour. Eight bolts, the filler neck from the gas door opening and a harness plug at the rear lighting buss bar are all you have to disconnect to remove the bed. Four guys can then carefully lift the bed back and set it down on the rear tires and bumper. This will give you enough room to pull the fuel pump module from the top of the gas tank.

6. GreenDuramax04

GreenDuramax04 Junior Member

The main thing that sucks is that the fuel sender is part of the fuel pump assembly. Meaning you have to buy the whole fuel pump assembly just to fix the sender. You're looking at $500 minimum to get that fixed. I've been there too many times.....

7. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

You can get the fuel level sender separately, it's around $150. I'll post the GM part number on Monday.

8. JMR

JMR Senior Member

But why, the truck has over 200k..............it's time to replace the pump..........Otherwise you'll be doing this job again way to soon.

9. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Total replacement cost for the entire job should be less than 200.00 150.00 for the sending unit(which includes everything but pump and screen), Pump, 30.00 and 10.00 for screen.

I prefer to drop the tank so that tank can be inspected. The plastic cover that protects the bottom of the tank can cause the tank to rust out.

10. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I checked just for kicks..............the fuel pump assembley is a modular unit. I could find no aftermarket manufactures who sell a pump and strainer for this application. The modular unit comes with the gauge sender. At wholesale prices depending on the brand you use expect to pay around $250 for the pump. They also reccommend that the fuel pump harness be replaced. I have had better luck with the Delco pumps.

11. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

The GM part number for just the fuel level sender is 89060640.