1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel pump problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by drifter79, Jun 7, 2004.

1. drifter79

drifter79 Member
    from pacific

:dizzy: 79 4x4 half ton 350 motor last may was towing boat on the way home truck would just make it up any steep inclines. Felt like it was starving for fuel so changed pump worked great ran great now a year later same boat same truck same thing happened it is a delco pump. Before this I would have to change pump every three to four years do they go out that fast or could something else be wrong or should I try a different pump? Thanks for any ideas. Drifter......

2. ratplow408

ratplow408 Member
    from PA

When did you change filter last?Could be worn fuel pump push rod or eccentric.

3. drifter79

drifter79 Member
    from pacific

:help: Change filter every 6 months rebuilt motor 18 months ago factory cam timing chain and gear. I just wonder if it could be a filter in the gas tank or if any body else as a problem with fuel pumps. motor is basicley stock with thorley headers and 3 inch single exhaust system and factory new haeds. Thanks for any help at all. Drifter79

4. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

I changed a fuel pump two years in a row on my Dads car a while back. It wouldn't start and the crankcase was filled with fuel, fouled the plugs. Can you hook up a pressure gage to the fuel system and check the running pressure? Could be what drifter79 mentioned, worn down rod would let it run easy but when the engine needs more, pump can't provide. I don't think the strainer in the tank is the problem, unless someone put in some dirt, they are usually clean. It doesn't cost anything to look if you drop the tank yourself. Good Luck..............:drinkup:

5. drifter79

drifter79 Member
    from pacific

:confused: Hey Thanks this weekend I will check pressure of pump if it is not right I will change pump and rod. I wonder if it could be the tank solenoid that switches from tank to tank Thanks. Drifter79

6. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

You could look into the fuel line. Is it old & cracked? It could be sucking in some air, especially if it's a 79 and nobody has replaced them over the years.