1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel pump problem? 1990 3500 Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by steven1213, Jun 2, 2009.

1. steven1213

steven1213 Junior Member

I have a 1990 one ton with 7.4l engine. The service engine soon light came on and the truck later started having problems where it would start to cut out when it after I drove it for a little while. It usually starts up but when I begin to accelerate from a dead stop it starts to cut out. Someone told me it is probably the fuel pump as the Silverados of this period are notorious for having the fuel pumps go bad. I thought a the fuel pump usually just quits altogether when they are the electric type in the fuel tank. Does this sound like a fuel pump problem to you guys? If so what kind of challenges should I consider if attempting to fix this myself such as removal of the tank? Any help is appreciated -------Thanks
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My personal experience, and many others is that when the fuel pump goes, it is completely dead. I doubt that's your problem. It could be a dirty fuel filter however. Since the CEL came on, there will be codes stored. You can get someone with a scan tool to pull them for you. Regardless of codes, I would start with a full tuneup. Air and fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap & rotor. Then check your timing. For ignition parts & plugs, genuine AC Delco is the only way to go. For wires, you can use the Napa premium. Clear your codes and run the truck. If this doesn't fix it, or you have a bunch of codes, check your catalytic converter. Could be plugging up on you.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Could be the pig tail connected to the pump / fuel gage sender on the tank. Maybe the connection has become dirty, wires chafed, filter sock on the pump intake is foiled, pump relay is weak or connection problem. Fuel pumps are real sensitive to voltage. I take it no duel fuel tanks? The tank switch can give you fits too. Haynes makes a fuel injection repair manual that has a lot of info in it. The library may have it or they can find it in their system. AutoZone should have a fuel pressure gage you can borrow to check the pressure of the system. Like what was said above it may not even be your fuel system.