1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fuel pump issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bharry20, Dec 3, 2008.

1. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

what i have is a 86 K5 blazer that has a 91 305 in it that they changed the intake back to the carburetor, and then put a cheap electric fuel pump at the rear of the truck by the tank. that went out today and i was just trying to figure out if the cam in the newer blocks have the lobe on them for the mechanical pump. it has a block off plate where the pump would go in the block. i would like to go back to the mechanical pump for reliability and to relieve some electrical load on the truck. any help would be great.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The cams will normally still have the FP lobe on them...but many of the blocks are not fully machined to accept the FP push rod. The casting will be there, the push rod hole with be there, but many times it's not fully machined to the correct diameter to accept the push rod. Have to pull the cover off and check, some did some didn't.

3. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

ok now if it is machined for the rod what pump would i use?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just purchase one for a carbed '86 Blazer, but actually there's many FP's that would work. Just need the right number of outlets and in the correct orientation. Any small block FP will physically bolt on.

5. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

Thanks B&B for your help but my block isn't machined for the rod. So i will just have to stick with the electric setup for now until i figure something else out or do the planned motor swap. Your wealth of knowledge is unbelievable as not one GM tech, anywhere near here, could give me an answer containing the amount of information as you did.:salute: