1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fuel problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DeeAnn, Jan 21, 2003.

1. DeeAnn

DeeAnn Junior Member

My '78 Chevy was in 2 hurricanes this past Fall. Having some problems now, of course. Replaced spark plugs/wires, starter, all fluids immediately after truck was flooded. (Water only got to the bottom of the seat--no lift on truck.) Had tanks professionally cleaned twice, still not working. Flap on Edelbrock 650 carb not flapping :) at all now. Replaced 6 fuel filters due to dirty water or algae build up. Now no water or algae but rust in fuel filter. My questions are: 1) How do I fix the carb? and 2) Where could the rust be coming from? Should I replace the fuel lines, fuel pump, or what? Thanks for your help.

~D~

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

If the tanks have been cleaned twice,they should be OK,unless they are badly rusted internally,which you will never get to stop.Tank replacement is the only solution.The same thing for the lines,if they are rusted badly inside,they will have to be replaced,not a big job.Don't forget the return line if it has one.

The carb should be repairable,by rebuilding and unsiezing any stuck parts.A new fuel pump wouldn't hurt either,as they are dirt cheap.You may also have a bad choke cap if the choke flap is not moving.