1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fuel problems

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by peanut46g, Jan 4, 2003.

1. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

ok guys I have a 1987 ford 150 my fuel pumps are good because I tested them, but when I turn the key the fuel pumps aren't getting juice to them. I changed the switch the the rod from the key goes into and turns stuff on, but it was not that. I'm stumped.

2. Dan S.

Dan S. Member

Look for a relay that provides power to the pumps, also check for a blown fuse. Ford also used a device that would shut off the power to the pump in the event of a crash, it can be reset, I had a 95 F-150 and the owners manual stated that driving through a large pot hole could trip it also. I dont know if they were used in 87, check an owners manual or shop manual. Also check the tank selector switch.
    Good Luck

3. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

ok here is what happened to my 88 f150 fuel pump on the rail had to be replaced no problem easy swap out. Listen you should here a hum when you turn on the key. There is also a ignition relay on the distributor taht can go bad I know it happened never figure that one out. The fuel shutoff switch is located under the steering column located on the firewall it also can go bad happened to me also.

Good luck figuring it all out other then the fuelpump on the rail it took 2 trips to the shop to get the rest working right.

4. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

Thanks a lot guys I'll try what you said to do!!:drinkup:

5. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

where are you in NH

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

The fords use a green relay to provide power to the pumps.It should be located next to the air cleaner,next to a similar black relay.There should be two larger wires,one yellow (feed from battery,and one pink (i think),that goes to the pumps.Check for power coming in on the yellow.If not,then it's a bad fusible link,or broken wire (very common).

The inertia switch,which shuts off power to the pumps is located just behind the floormat edge,on the fire wall behind the brake pedal.There is a little white button on top,just make sure it's pushed down.

7. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

good news

good news guys I found the problem. I was crawling into the engine compartment and had my knees on the fender, and then I slipped off and hit some of those wires that are in one big tangled mess in front of the firewall, the fuel pump came on!:eek:
    so I got down and looked at whatever I hit and there was a relay there that had electrical tape on it and was all torn up. I took it off and brought it to my parts guy and he gave me a new one so I put it on and sure enough I turned the key and it fired right up:D . Then I shut the key off and the fuel pump stayed on:realmad: awww I was pissed. so I just disconnected the battery and got out of there. I guess it's that thing that the rod from the key goes into that I replaced before as I said before. wyldman I think that relay is the same one that you were talking about. I guess I'll buy a brand new one and put it in there. and hmebuildr I'm in Groveton NH if you know where that is. It's near Lancaster above pretty far up north if you live down south.:drinkup:

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

If the relay was green,it is the fuel pump relay,if it was black,then it's the EEC power relay.The fuel pump may run for 10-15 secs after you shut the truck off,but should stop eventually.If not,maybe the relay is sticking.If the ignition switch is incorrectly adjusted the fuel pump should still shut off if the engine is not running.

Get a relay from Ford.The aftermarket relays are crap,and don't last long.

If you still have a problem,pay close attention to the yellow wire that feeds the relay.They had tons of problems with bad splices,causing intermitant no starts,stalling etc.If in doubt run a new one to the relay,use a good quality 10 gauge wire.

9. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

pump problems

Peanut to go with the other replys make sure the fuel pump relay and the eec relay are powering up there located under hood drivers side under a plastic cover i would suspect there not and further more what i would put more money on is a corroded wire going to the relay center what us mechanics call green wire look for what looks like green powder in the wiring bundle ford uses why to many fusable links and they will corrode causing loss of power to relay , hope it helps

regards fred

10. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

Thanks guys I'll keep trying, but what I don't get is that the fuel pump won't shut off unless I disconnect the battery and then when I start the truck it only runs for like 10 seconds. It seems to me like the fuel pump shuts off when I start the truck. :confused:

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

If the fuel pump won't shut off,it can only be one of three things.Incorrect or faulty relay,incorrect relay signal from the ECM,or shorted\crossed wiring for the fuel pump or relay.

If you take the relay out does is stop running ??

If it does try another relay,if that doesn't fix it PM me and i'll walk you through checking the wiring and ECM.

12. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

No, when I take the relay out it doesn't stop running.

Thanks, Dan

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well,either your pulling the wrong relay,or the wiring is crossed or shorted somewhere.The pump can only run if it gets power from the relay.

Are you sure your pulling the right one? It should be green base\black cover,the other one beside it is is brown base\black cover,located behind the air cleaner under a little black plastic cover.

Pulling either one,or both should stop the pump.If you are pulling the right ones,and it still runs,then find out where the pump is getting power from.The power wire to the pumps should be pink,with possibly a black stripe or tracer.Find out where this wire is getting power from.That is your problem.Maybe someone adding in an accessory and tapped into it somewhere ? or maybe someone tried to repair the harness before and did it wrong ? Maybe someone just wired them to the ign switch and now that you replaced it (ign switch),it is now incorrectly adusted and causing your problem.Maybe check the adjustment,and if that's it,then look at rewiring the pumps properly afterwards.Lots of stuff to try,maybe one of these ideas may fix it.Good luck.Post your results.

14. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

K thanks I appreciate the help I'll check it out tomorrow and get back to you.:drinkup:

15. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

there were two relays behind the the air cleaner in a plastic box so I pulled both of them and the fuel pump shut off. Then I plugged both of them back in and it didn't come back on, and I looked and there was one wire that wasn't in there so I put it in and it came on, but it still won't shut off. Does that loose wire have anything to do with the problem?

16. wyldman

wyldman Member

It shouldn't cause the fuel pump to stay on,just cause the wire was loose or disconnected.What color is the wire ?

The fuel pump relays are notorious for sticking,try giving it a smack.

17. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

IT RUNS! I replaced the yellow fuel pump relay and when I was there was a wire loose that I replaced. I connected the battery again and FINALLY the fuel pump didn't come, and I turned the key on then the fuel pump came on and it started right up. I went plowing this afternoon and it runned like a charm. THANKS GUYS I couldn't have done it without you!

18. wyldman

wyldman Member

Persistance pays off,glad to hear it's running again :)