1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fuel problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 78K20, Jan 27, 2004.

1. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

I have been having trouble with my truck stalling/sputtering when I come to a stop. It only happens after I have been driving a while and the engine is hot. I checked the fuel filter and it has a screen filter that I replace with a paper filter. It didn't like this at all and it ran even worse. I thought that I had water in my gas so I bought the stuff to put in the tank to get out water out of the gas this worked for a little while after I put the screen filter back in, but now its doing it again. It runs really good most of the time and it still runs after the rpms come up. I have a 350 with a quadrajet the filter is inside the front of the carb. Any help is greatly appreciated

2. Dan S.

Dan S. Member

Check your fuel pump pressure, the paper filter you installed was more restrictive and that made the problem worse. Also check your supply line to the pump, if you have a screen or filter on the fuel pick up this could be restricted also.
    Good Luck

3. yellowsnow

yellowsnow Junior Member
    from midwest

I had this exact problem its a $90 fix. I think the part is called a fuel pump regulatoror something to that effect, its in the manual (sorry cant remember this happened about a year ago) Check that, you can pop it off and if gas leaks out it needs replacing, found out it is a common problem with these trucks. My fuel bill skyrocketed to almost double until it got fixed.

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you need a carburetor kit put in. Now everyone is asking What's a carburetor?

5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you need a carburetor kit put in. Now everyone is asking What's a carburetor?

6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

float could be out of adjustment. Does the gas leak out of the bowls so you have to crank awhile to restart after sitting for long periods? Quads are prone to this. If so, you also want to keep your oil changed frequently till you get it fixed. Thats where the gas ends up. Edelbrock makes replacements for these leaky quadrajets(#1905 is one of them).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2004
  7. nachoschevs

nachoschevs Member

Since the thread went to carbs. What are the opinions of you guys on the holley/edelbrock carbs. I have used one of each and I cant see they are any better then the original Q-jet. I know that dont sound right, but none seem to work for me. Maybe I just got bad ones from the factory or something. Just wondering which ones you all had the best of luck with.
    Nacho