1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel problem with 1976 K20

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by steven1213, Jun 15, 2008.

1. steven1213

steven1213 Junior Member

I have a1976 Chevy K20. It runs fine when I first start it and drive it for very short distance but if I drive it longer it sometimes will idle real low, then stall and then I am not able to start it. If I immediately remove the fuel line from the carb, there is no gas that comes out of the line as if it is being starved. Usually if I just let it sit for a while, it will start right up again. The carb has been cleaned and float level reset to proper level as well as the fuel filter was changed. I have duel tanks and don't use the driver side one because it seems to plug up or something so I just keep it on the passenger side one. It seems as though there is a bunch of gunk in the tank and it tends to plug up as it sucks the fuel with more prolonged driving. Does any body have any other ideas? I was thinking about just getting another fuel tank from JC whitney and installing it but have never done it. Any help would be appreciated.---Steve

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

fuel

i wonder if you have a problem with junk floating around in both tank's ? or the transfer valve ? plugging,you might have to drop both tank's to check them out with the sender's out ,empty them out see how much junk come's out ,i assume the fuel pump is working .could try a electric pump on demand pump .:confused:

3. steven1213

steven1213 Junior Member

Fuel problem

Would a bad transfer valve cause this kind of thing or is it a case that either it works or it doesn't? I might as well take it out and have a look at it. Can I just blow it out with compressed air? I may just bypass it and just use one good tank after I replace it or have it cleaned. I am not sure how cost effective it would be to have it cleaned. I have had good luck with the JC Whitney products. Thanks for the input Wild Bill.

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

fuel

well if any thing you can just bypass it all together ,for a quick try !