1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Prices Raising Rates ???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stan, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Cost me over $75. to fill up the truck. Made me start wondering how much I'll be raising the rates. Anyone have a formula or care to chime in ?

2. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

It's been costing me anywhere from $80 to $90 to fill up. Yesterday I filled up everything, truck, mowers, gas cans, I spend $140 at the gas station. Im gonna have to fill up my truck again tomorrow :( but the mowers and gas cans will last 2 weeks so thats good. Havent thought about raising rates yet. Im thinking of having the customers bill have a 2% surcharge for gas when gasoline is over 2.50

3. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I was thinking of using the national common carrier fuel surcharge rate. As of now its around 14%.

4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS..............

Just FIY............Last week I ordered paper goods for my bar/rest./
    hotel operation. On monday I placed my order with the salesman.
    On Friday the stuff was delivered..........

There was a $3.00 FUEL Surcharge on the bill..............

Salesman made no mention of this..........Driver sez they started this
    a few weeks ago. Couldn't refuse the order. Need TP for customers
    to wipe their butts........ :eek: !!!!!

I figure it would of cost $20 in gas to drive to Syracuse plus a stop
    at Hooters for me to pick it up myself............

We are in a tough spot.........Raise our rates and possibly lose
    customers to the lowballers and their rolling scrap iron or eat the difference !!!
    :drinkup: ..................geo

Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  5. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

fuel

We installed a large fuel tank and electric fuel transfer pump in our shop last winter. It was not cheap but it's paying off now as we buy diesel in bulk at approximately 40 cents below gas station rates!

6. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Gas is $2.479 at Costco. I don't even look elsewhere. If the F350 is dry it will be a $90 fill up!

7. Mistel

Mistel Member

Ok, I don't want to be all DOOM and GLOOM, but, I started a thread about 6 months ago asking what people would drive when gas hits $5 gallon. Here in Canada we already pay about $3 US for a Gallon, or about .90 cents a litre CD$. I think $5 USD per gallon is about 2-3 years away. I hate the fact that I can't buy a mid size North American truck with a small diesel. I'm going to import one from Europe and get 30 MPG.

8. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I'm seriously thinking about 5% of the total bill for the month for a fuel surcharge. Think about it though, out here about all we can get is $60.00 / hour. I can guarantee that the 454 under the hood is sucking more than $3.00 worth of fuel per hour. I swear that everytime that you step on that thing it is like flushing a toilet. guess that I could just raise the rate to $65.00 / hour and not complicate things with a surcharge. Actoully I would be money ahead by $2.00 / hour. If anyone has any other ideas lets hear them.

9. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

1 word is helping me "Acetone"

google it for more info

10. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

Hey Nate -
    I checked out Acetone as an additive.. looks good.. are you getting real-world MPG increases? Do you use the 3 oz / 10 gallons of fuel ratio?

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

That's the new "turbinator" this month.

Lot's of hype, but everyone I know who has tried it has had poor results.
    I read SCAM, or myth- which ever you want to call it.

Makndust, my only suggestion is get a smaller truck- do you really need a 454, or would a 350 be enough?

I'm looking for time to tune up my Ram, she's down to about 11 Mpg, should be 16.
    I'll be putting in a 2-5% fuel surcharge for when diesel is over $2.00, if it breaks $2.75 I'll add another percent or two.

12. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

3oz/10 gallons yup.... went from 14-15 on the highway to 17-18 in the durango,.... havnt tried it in the s-10's yet

13. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I stopped for fuel this morning on the way to work and this is what the prices were...

SmlGasprices-1.jpg

14. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

anybody watch the episode of trucks where he showed how to make alternate deisel fuel? it's actually better for your engine. it was never mainstreamed cause the sum of the ingredients costed more than buy deisel but now it's cheaper.

The main ingredients were used deep fryer oil (corn i believe), methanol, and lye.

15. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Drove by the same station today and the price is now $323.9

16. Mistel

Mistel Member

You can actually put straight waste vegetable oil in a diesel. Just take old deep fryer oil, filter it and if you are in the south, just put it in your tank. Free fuel. In the northern states or here in Canada, you need a separate heated tank.

17. caz41

caz41 Member

I'm gonna just put a straight $5/hour raise on the rates and see how that goes as far as the customers are concerned. It shouldn't be too hard of a sell as they are well aware of the spike in gas prices, most of them are probably going to do the same with their goods to offset the raises in delivery prices.

I just want to know when this B.S. is gonna stop. I don't even want to get my heating bill this winter.

18. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

No, it still needs to be heated to at least 130 degrees F. Also the Duramax's and the new 6 Liter Power Strokes can not run WVO(waste vegetable oil) or SVO(straight vegetable oil) due to extremely high injector pressures....

Actually the cost of making Bio-diesel is between .50 and .75 per gallon for the chemicals and electric needed to process it. the oil you can get for free since the restaurants have to pay to get it hauled off...

19. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

rising fuel prices

We will have to raise the price of snow removal to cover the increase if fuel costs. Johny six pack and rolling scrap iron drivers will also have to increase the cost of doing business as they will also have to purchase fuel at this higher price.

Not only will we raise the prices of snow removal but all the products we purchase will raise in price. Energy is used in everything we use. This fuel increase is going to cost us a lot. The big truck will cost over $228.00 to fill up. If I am going to loose money I will sell rigs and set in house and watch it snow. There are other ways to make a living. But if they want the service they will have to pay.

Fuel surcharges, increasing prices is the only way out for us. You can't absorb this large of an increase in fuel, it must be passed on.

Dave

20. BLIZZARD BUSTER

BLIZZARD BUSTER Member

THE GAS PRICES HERE HAVE BEEN GOING UP AND DOWN SO MUCH IT'S MAKING US :dizzy: TODAY THE PRICE FOR UNLEADED IS 2.65/GAL. WHO KNOWS WHAT IT WILL BE TOMORROW!
    WE ADDED A 5% FUEL SURCHARGE TO ALL OF OUR CONTRACTS FOR THE UPCOMING WINTER SEASON. NO COMPLAINTS YET!!!