1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fuel pressure

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by elite1msmith, Dec 27, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i have a 95 chevy 3500 454 TBI, i donthave any fuel pressure up by the motor... i know the simple thing to do is test the pump ...but its raining , and i cant pull it in the garage...

so give me a few pointers, is this electric fuel pump, or engine driven ? its a dump , so i cant pull it inside to see what the deal is

i know it has a fuel relayand fuse, so i assume it has at least1 fuel pump

i guess startwith that

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  2. elite1msmith

from chicago

relay is good... and i jumped it , still got nothing.... anyhelp?

3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Is your fuel filter clean?

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

we just bought the truck , so i have no idea... my guess is no

i dont here the fuel pump powering up

if BB is on? or anyone else, got wire colors for me to test power at the pump? and which line is the pressured line

5. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

The wires will be the two larger in gauge as they carry more amperage. Probably grey and black.

6. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

Did the fuel pump have a bad hum when it was running? If it did turn the key on and if you DO not hear the hum then you have a bad fuel pump. If you need to move the truck you can take a hammer and tap the bottom of the fuel tank and see if you can get the fuel pump running.

7. elite1msmith

from chicago

we got the dump ned up in the air... so i have very easy access to the top of the tank at this point... jsut wish i could test the wiring first befire removing the pump

8. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

Turn the key on and you should have 12 v to the plug on top of the tank.

9. elite1msmith

from chicago

4 wires at that plug

10. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

it should be the larger gauge wires. you can also do a google search to find out the wire colors. off hand I have no clue which wires they are. if you turn the key on and get no sound coming from the tank the fuel pump is probably bad.

11. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Are you actually reading any of these responses to your posts? The two heaviest gauge wires. More then likely grey and straight black.. Usually purple and black with a white tracer is for the sender.

12. elite1msmith

from chicago

yes i can read thank u

they are all the same gauge , i figure 1 ground, 1 fuel supply line, 1 sender supply line, 1 sender return line... i jsutdont want to guess, and accidently apply power to the sender and blow it

i dont knwo the colors , as its dark ouside, and1 am , but tommarow ill be sure to check

no hum , but that also doesnt mean its getting power either

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Gray is your 12V power wire.
    Black is your ground.

Gray will only be hot for 2-3 sec after you turn the key on.

Where's the FP relay located? '95 was a ******* year..does it have a fuse/relay box on the driver side inner fender with the FP relay located in there? Or is the FP relay on the passenger side on the firewall?

Makes a difference as to how you diagnose it.

14. elite1msmith

from chicago

B&B, the man

fuel pump relay is located on the drivers side...heres the funny part, the fuel pump fuse, also located in that same box, was not installed... after looking at it, there arnt e ven contacts in that fuse area? so basicly its a dud spot.... and yeah i double checked

in fact3/4 of the entire fuse box is unused, and there arnt even contacts in it

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

See what I meant about the '95's? :D

Start with your power and ground checks back at the FP and let us know what you come up with. Likely its just a dead pump..

16. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Make sure you check the plug on the main harness coming from the truck FP harness we have found alot of those plugs go bad.

17. elite1msmith

from chicago

B&B if it is a dead pump, do u have any tips for removing the old one... it all looks really rusted in place

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Clean the area around the sender very well before you attempt any removal from the tank. This will keep any debris from falling into the tank. If it looks bad on top don't fool with trying to save the old sender assembly, replace it all. If the hoses look decent but they're just rusted to the sender fittings, just twist them off at the sender since you'll likely be replacing it anyway. This will save the lines for re-use.

An aftermarket sender is ok but spend the money on a good pump, it's worth it.

19. elite1msmith

from chicago

ok, will do

i also have a problem , the motor seems to bog down heavy, if im light on the gas it goes jsut fine, but anything heavier on the pental and the motor just bogs out...its oundsas if its going to go , but never does.... i kinda was thinking the cat?

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

More likley due to a low fuel pressure condition...hmm think it could be related to the current no start? :nod: