1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel mixing D1 vs K2

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Plowinpro03, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

My older chevy is a biiiteeceeehhh to start. 95 6.5TB. Plugged in, and in the garage. New glow plugs, pump, everything on the truck checks out. It only has 112 on the clock. But, when its cold..(i mean any temp up to 40) its a cranky baby trying to get to turn over. I know these were not the best engines.

So, i went for the mix, about 17 gallons of Diesel and maybe just short of 5 gallons of Kero. Fires right up, no issue, sitting in the cold, no problem. However, is that to much kero? Ive heard of people running a 50/50 mix, and even more. I haven't put any thing else in the thank to compensate for the less lub provided with the kero, but its not a work truck....its only a 1500 silverado, so im not pushing snow or towing big loads with it.

What says the more "conditioned" members?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

now when you mean cranky to turn over like how???
    1) slow crank,,like you can hear every pistom going up and down?
    2) good crank,,just not fire?

3. Plowinpro03

If it where 40degrees out, i have no problems what so ever. Everything is good, just doesn't want to start in the cold. I really think the new blend of diesel fuels that they make us run in NY is just not what these engine's where designed to run with.

My concern is how much is to much Kero mixed in with the diesel.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

well that i cant say,,,the mix
    and you cked out the gp system,,,plugs and solenoid.
    the only other alternitive might be a fuel heater.

5. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

I have used 50/50 alot and even 100% K1 in a deep freeze spell. Never a problem.

6. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Never had an issue starting mine, never plugged it in either. Cycled the glow plugs x2 and little crank and fired right up.

Something is wrong with the gp system.

7. Plowinpro03

I cycle them twice, everything has been replaced. It just starts so rough when its cold out. Only other issue may actually be the heater coil that you plug in, that i have not checked or done anything with. Everything else is new.

My concern is the mix of fuel, like i said, starts fine with some Kero in it. Just don't want to do any damage. im at a 25/75 percent mix. (K/D).

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

i use stanadyne at every fill up...with the strange weatehr you fuel supplyer may not be putting the cold weather additive in it...found theat places like pilot/flying j do not use it till the temps stay under 32.....problem with doing k1 yourself is getting it mixed wel...its like the old days when it was premixed..I would check the block heater,