1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fuel mileage for 5.7 350?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jbone, Oct 31, 2006.

1. jbone

jbone Senior Member

I know this question in this forum has been asked plenty of times but I couldnt find one for the 5.7 350. this is in regards to plowing. I have a 94' 2500 light duty 3/4 ton. Im not sure but I think it has either 3.73's or 4.10's, 5spd manual. Im just trying to figure out an estimate of gas mileage so I can figure out what my costs may be.
  2. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

take ur city mileage and knock 3points off it thats what u could expect to use in fuel, but remember u dont cove much mileage while plowing so using mileage is kinda usless. figure how often u drive and how often u fill up. figure a week of regular driving will be close to a night of plowing, exept it also depends on how much snow and what kinda snow. also how many accounds how many hrs of plowing a night spacing of accounts there are so many variables it will drive u nuts. with my 88gmc k3500 with 6.2l i can plow all my accounts(typicly 6hrs) in wet heavy snow with a run around of about 25miles. and use about 1/8th of a tank on bad nights 1/4 tank. now in my 360 powered dodge my guys plow the same route with me and burn about 1/2 tank.

to many variables. so i would say as before use the fuel u would use in a norman week, then if its alot less, send the customers a letter telling them that ur droping there rates. i dont know now im just rambling on and should just delete this post.
  3. 1/2 ton with TBI 350 and 3.73:1 gears regularly got between 12 and 14mpg even though sticker said 14cty/16hwy. I'd imagine you would do worse with a heavier truck...but better with the manual trans. Figure on way worse with a plow on the front (Drag and weight). Plus...you not putting many miles on when plowing...more like "working" the truck. I'd guess less than 10mpg.
  4. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

96 Vortec 350. Empty, and rinning on the highway, I get between 16.7 to 17.2mpg. But never gonna see that with a plow on, let alone pushing snow. Might want to try a different formula for that one. Sorry, if it isnt much help.
  5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

3 points as in 3% or 3 points as in 3 mpg? I'm assuking its the latter, not the former.
  6. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

yes the former as in if u get 15 call it 12
  7. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

5.7L + Plowing = Terrible MPG

I only figured it out once and the number wasn't good. I filled up, plowed a couple hours and figured I got about 7 MPG or less. But then again I didn't buy the truck for gas mileage, I bought it to make money. Just make sure you charge enough to pay for your gas. The way I look at it is the first place that I drop my plow pays for the gas during the storm. On a big storm I usually only use half a tank or less.
  8. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

97 K2500- 8800 GVW-4:10 gears 10-11 MPG pulling my trailer. 8-9 Plowing

13-14 MPG cruisng the highway. Thats as good as it gets for me.
  9. jbone

jbone Senior Member

thanks for the help guys!