1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel injectors?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dakotasrock, Jan 17, 2008.

1. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

How often should I we change our fuel injectors? i've got 110k on my truck, had it since 80k, and never done it. There are a lot of things I should replace i know at this millage, (fuel filter, cat, etc), but i plan on trading her in this summer, so I dont think its worth doing everything, especially a cat since their so spendy...... but so are the fuel injectors.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Pour a can of Sea-Foam in her..
    I'm not one for snake oils but this stuff works..

3. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

does it really do anything when a mechanic "professionally" cleans them? They tried to sell me on that a month ago when I went in to get an oil change (cause it was just tooo frickin cold to do it on my driveway lol). I told them ill hold off.

4. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

why do you think that you need your fuel injectors replaced? what engine do you have? There is no need to replace anything unless it fails. The only maintance item are the plugs, wires, Coolant, Cap and Rotor.

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Just pour a can in the fuel tank next time you fill up.

If they (the dealer) cleans them they will remove them from your engine and run a cleaner thought them and reinstall.
    Basically the same as the Sea-Foam but you have to burn the tank up with out adding any more to it to see the same results.

And the sea-foam is a lot cheaper and it will remove carbon deposits in your engine something that will not happen having the injectors cleaned at the dealer.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  6. jjtmarineb2

jjtmarineb2 Member

One correction to snofarmer's response. Make sure your tank is almost empty. You may even want to run it dry and then add the seafoam and about a gallon of gas. I don't care how "concentrated" a substance is, when you pour a pint of fluid even into a few gallons of gas, it becomes too diluted to do it's job properly. I usually put a vacuum line with a very small restriction approx 1/16" directly into the can. It should take a min or two to drain the can and will smoke like a SOB, but works wonders. However, this method only cleans the intake, valves, and cylinders. This stuff will work great on your injectors when poured into the fuel system, just make sure you have very little gas mixed with it.

Or you could buy a gallon jerry can of it at Advance Auto Parts and fog for mosquitos for an hour or so!!! :rolleyes:

Hope this helps!:salute:

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

If you do fallow the directions on the can for the various uses it has you will see results.

I do every time I use it.

No less that 1/2 tank ;)
    If you pour the whole can in for just cleaning the injectors.

Yes, the smoke can be excessive..lol if you pour it in to the VAC line..
    and it does not harm your OX sensors ether.

:D:waving:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  8. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

as jjmarineb2 said that is a great way to clean all the carbon out of the engine and help with valve wear to increase engine life

9. niv

niv Member
    from midwest

add some ATF once a month to your fuel it cleans and increases mileage.

10. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

ATF are not for Injector and they are for carb.

I am not sure but another forum say atfv which is automatic transmission is best for old car or truck that don't have fuel injector.

But I still vote sea foam.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  11. TEX

TEX Senior Member

are we talkin gas or diesel here?

true atf will get you out of a pinch but atf is not made to burn and will leave deposits on your injectors