1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel hat tank problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by delly, Feb 16, 2015.

1. delly

delly Junior Member
    from nj

Hey guys I have a 2004 chevy silverado 3500 mason dump. It has 2 fuel tanks, I was getting fuel today to get ready for our next snow storm and smell gas, I raised the body and seen that the rear fuel tank which must be the auxillary tank fuel lines goin to the fuel hat module? Had rusted apart, 1 line completely broke off while the other is barely hanging on, my question is do I have anything worry about and will the truck just run off the front tank? I covered everything up so no water dirt get in there till I fix it and I ran the truck for about 4 hours after noticing the problem, the fuel gauge seems to be still working correctly.. Do I have to worry about air lock the evap system looks like it's hooked to the front tank there's only 1 plug on the rear tank for the sending unit and there's 2 plugs on the front tank. Thx for any help you guys can give me.. Jim

2. delly

delly Junior Member
    from nj

Does anybody have any good info about these fuel systems?

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

did you take to a dealer or garage ?

4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

It will switch over the main and return lines, Vent should be OK. Run it just don't put it on the other tank. Gauge also switches over.

5. delly

delly Junior Member
    from nj

im doing the work myself... there is no switch to change tanks it pumps fuel from the rear tank to the front tank i believe. its stil running as of now, will see, im in process of ordering a new fuel pump assembly, any other info would be great thx guys..jim