1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fuel guage

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bulldozer, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Member

My fuel guage is going crazy :dizzy: It works right some of the time then goes to empty and the low fuel light comes on and then back to normal- this happens most of the time.
    Also, once in a while it seems to read only half of the gas. I've heard of someone who
    had a similar thing and when they replaced both fuel pumps it still didn't fix it.

and I am getting a random misfire code if I happen to go over 70 mph hint hint:rolleyes: and when I am dumping a load and I am reving the eng. for the alnt. to about 2500 rpms after about 5 to 15 sec. - the problems do not seem to be connected.

Anyone had this problems ?

Thanks,
    Philip

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

We have the exact same gauge problem on a '01 Chevy 2500HD Gasser...goes up to normal, shoots down to empty.......been going on for a year or so, no one seems to care to fix it.

3. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Member

Forgot to say it is a 2001 gmc 3500 6.0 4X4 duel tanks

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  4. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

There were some post about this a while back, my truck did it too, till I changed out the pump/sending unit.

I think B&B said it had to do with alcohol in gas ????

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

For the fuel gage issue its more than likely do to a failing fuel sender in the forward tank. And it is commonly due to the newer fuels (increased alcohol content) corroding the contacts in the sender assembly like bike mentioned.

But on a dump truck specifically, before I change a fuel sender I always check the wiring to the front for damage FIRST. Dump bed equipped trucks are notorious for having the wiring damaged along the frame.

Random misfires could be due to several things, but in order of commonality it would be worn plugs or plug wires (needs a tune up), dirty MAF sensor, or dirty injectors. And on the 6.0's, leaky intake gaskets (vacuum leak).

With proper diagnosis both issues would be relativity simple to pin down.

6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

welcome

:angry:well welcome to the crowd this is a common problem ,it even affects the shift indicator lights and odometer and trip meter .both me and my old man have 2001 chevy's 1500 2wd and 2500 hd 4x4 ,they say all you can do is have the dash gauge set sent in to be rebuilt ($400.00) seam's like it only happens after the warranty is over .some times with a bang on the dash the light's come on again ,the fuel gauge just comes's and goes on both truck's does not affect how they run no codes set .

7. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Member

I all ready changed the spark plugs and wires will have to check out others

thanks
    Philip[

8. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

umm.... very common problem, you go to your local GM dealer and grab a little bottle of "techron" additive for $27.95cnd every 3 or 4 months and pour it in your gas tank as needed. the problem is caused by a sulfer build up inside of the tank

9. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

same thing happens to the gauge on my 2000 2500, but every so often I kicks on so I can tell how much gas I have. If not, just set your trip odometer every time u fill up.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually it's due to the alcohol content of todays gas, since gas has been low sulfur Tier 2 since Jan 1 2004 anyway.