1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Guage Bounce

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sjoe, Feb 17, 2003.

1. sjoe

sjoe Junior Member

I have an '82 K-10 with a single 16 gallon fuel tank. Whenever the tank comes off of Full, the gauge needle starts to bounce like crazy. Fuel tank and sending unit was replaced because of hole in the tank from rust but the gauge still bounces. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
  2. Code 46

Code 46 Junior Member

just wondering if you ever got an answer on this?

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i beleive this is normal because there isnt a baffle in the tank to cut back on the gas sloshing around

another rainy weekend:dizzy:
  4. jimfulco

jimfulco Junior Member

unlocking mysteries of the universe

I hope someone knows. I've come to believe the only old Chevys that don't have dancing gas gauges are the ones that are stuck on extra-full.
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

It is normal.It is worse on the trucks that have the larger fuel gauge beside the speedo (instead of the tach),as it is much larger and more noticeable,with a larger sweep.

Most newer vehicle use a damped,or less sensitive fuel gauge,have baffles in the tank,or may run an anti-slosh module to keep the gauge reading steady.The older vehicle didn't utilize this technology,so they bounced around.I'd rather have a bouncing fuel gauge than one that doesn't work or reads inaccurately,like a lot of the newer stuff.