1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Gelling.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by DieselSlug, Jan 16, 2012.

1. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

Hello everyone. I have owned my truck for going on 5 years now and have never had an issue with fuel gelling. I think this morning might have been it. Truck was plugged in, on a timer from 3:30AM till 5:20 when i fired it up. Temps outside ranging just below 0. Started rough and hard, but ran and cleared up. Let run for a good 10 minutes. Took off. Made it about 4 miles from my apartment. Took off from a stop sign and the truck wouldnt accelerate. Then eventually died on the side of the road. Cranks but wont start.

Went to a local farm i work at and got a jug of P/S 911. Poured it in. Tank is a little over 1/2 full of diesel. Let the mix sit for a while and then tried starting. Truck now cranks for a while then will start, however only run for 15 seconds then die.

Got the truck towed to my dads house where it will sit till i get out of work tonight and can play with it.

The fuel in the truck was not treated, so this is why im leaning toward gelling. I ran out of P/S in the white bottle, and NAPA was closed Sunday so i couldnt get any somewhat locally. I can hear my Carter L/P running while cranking the engine over.

My batts are getting low on charge now due to cranking, so my plan is to have my brother plug the truck in about mid day so the engine will be warm by the time i get there. The temp is supposed to be low 30's and sunny today so hopefully it will be enough with the truck sitting outside. Will also plug in the battery jumper/charger box to aid.

Is there anything else i should do to aid in starting? IE: change filter (will gelled fuel ruin it?)

Thanks! Need this thing running tonight! May need to plow tomorrow!

2. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Gelled fuel wont ruin the filter but it does plug up and not work right.
    I guess that could be called ruined.
    I'd change the filter just to be sure you don't have issues while plowing.

I always treat my fuel starting at least by 15 degrees.
    Yeah it might be a little over kill, but treatment is VERY cheap insurance against having problems.

Because of that policy I've never had issues with a truck that I drive.

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Definitely gelled at those temps with no anti gel.Get an electric blanlet to put over the top of the engine.Also if you can find one (Napa has them) a magnet mount small electric heater to fasten onto your filter.Hopefully it's not a plastic one--I wouldn't trust that.Do change out your filter ASAP. Good luck.

4. DieselSlug

Thanks for the comments. WIll grab a new fuel filter this afternoon for it. Trying to locate a salamander heater to blow at the truck. Very anxious to see what inside when i pull the filter out.

5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I don't have a diesel truck, but I do have a diesel tractor. Fuel would gell in the filter almost every winter. Same scenario as your truck - would start the tractor, let it warm up for about fifteen minutes, starting working and about five minutes later it would die under load. I would just pull the filter off and clean it off by hand.

I've since learned that the Diesel 911 (the red bottle of the power serve) works great in keeping it from gelling. I always dump a full bottle in prior to winter and whenever I fill it up. It seemed to work even without cleaning out the filter, which I'm sure is much harder to do on a truck than on the tractor.

I also do the same for my skidsteer, but this is only the second year that I've had it, and have not had a gelling problem with it.

So...give the Diesel 911 stuff a shot.

6. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

i agree, i had the same issues with a bad filter in the summer, truck would run fine until i would accelerate then it wouldnt do anything. Turned out to be a bad filter, the inside tore and was crushed when i took it off. A clogged filter from gelled fuel would probably give the same result.

7. DieselSlug

I just picked up a bottle of the white power service along with filter element. I will pour some in the filter housing before i install the filter, hopefully this will cure it! We also have a diesel john deere, never had an issue with fuel tho, my dad usually mixes kero with it. Along with an oil pan heater it starts every time.

This was more my own stupidity of not going to the city to get power service on sunday. Never gonna do that again...

8. DieselSlug

The filter in the truck is prolly about 5 months old. So its time for a replacement. Just got one at NAPA for 30 bucks.

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Whatever floats your boat to thaw out your fuel system is fine.You will see a lot of FUGLY in that filter--little swarms of jelly fish would be fairly accurate.

10. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Most corner stop and robs have some kind of fuel treatment. If they sell diesel.
    Sure its way costly but compare to the cost of fuel to go to town, and/or the expense and pain in the tush for gelling up............ its not that expensive in the long run.

11. DieselSlug

I checked the local gas station for some treatment but all they had was a puny bottle of diesel heet for 6 bucks. But yes, i wish i bought it LOL!

12. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

If you have a bulk oil distributor you can buy treatment by the case and usually save even more than china mart.

I use Howes, have for years. No problems.

13. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I always put the white bottle of Power Serve in because I thought it would help prevent gelling, but the fuel still gelled. Even tried kerosine, but still had gelling.

It's the red bottle of Power Serve - that says 911 - that did the trick (for me at least).

I only use the white stuff in the summer, and only the red stuff in the winter now.

14. DieselSlug

New filter and bottle of 911 to replace the one at the farm i used. 43 bucks in total, ouch.

Fuel Filter.jpg

15. DieselSlug

Hmm. Never heard of that brand around here. We have Power Service, Stanadyne and Diesel Heet.

16. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

Im assuming you own a ford

im thinking 1hr50m is not warm enough first . i know its a heavy draw BUT
    at that temp especially if she aint been circulating

when was the last time you changed your fuel filters or drained your HFCM (Horizontal Fuel Condition Module) ?

always add a df conditioner if she makes you coin.

they love oxygen and warmthussmileyflag ...they love and need MAX cold cranking amps , also the ficm(fuel inj. control module) relys on a constant 12 v draw or you'll find out from a dealer soon ,
    cant treat em like a redheddedstepson and squirt cans of ether into the cai , good luck son

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  17. DieselSlug

I put the red bottle in on the side of the road this AM. I usually put the white bottle in in the winter, and the silver in the summer. Silver is more of a cetane booster. They "say" it increases MPG's. I seem to get about 18 MPG's with or without.

18. DieselSlug

Its actually the truck in my sig, GM. I know i can hear the block heater bubbling after about 30 minutes of being plugged in. Usually about 1 hour plugged in makes starts much easier. More prolly wouldnt hurt, i usually dont go to work till 6:30 AM, but i needed to get an earlier start today.

19. dooleycorp

dooleycorp Senior Member

we use shot of kero in full but 911 and howes both good stuff we buy csaes of filters and treatments to get thru cold good luck

20. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

I dont have a diesel but I leave my truck pluged all night if its below 0*c or 32* My uncle leaves his chev 2500 diesel pluged in all night as well says it wont start if not! I assume that if they make antigelling agent it should be used! Try parking it out of the wind if you can as well