1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Gauge

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by frzfrd32, Mar 4, 2010.

1. frzfrd32

frzfrd32 Junior Member

I just bought a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 so it has been inspected and passed emissions. I was driving down the road today about 10 miles after I had filled the gas tank and the fuel gauge dropped to empty and another light above it came on. I turned the truck off and the fuel gauge was back to Full but the other light was still on and the fuel gauge dropped back to empty a few miles later. What could the problem be?

2. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Thats pretty common on them its the sensor in the tank

3. frzfrd32

frzfrd32 Junior Member

So does it need an immediate fix or is it something that can wait a couple of weeks. And is it covered under the 1000 mile 30 day warranty?

4. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Its not that big a deal just fill up every 200 mi or so so u don't run out not going to hurt anything. Just depends on the place you bought it from if they will cover it or not

5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

my buddies truck is like his, whats the name of the sensor and whats it going to cost for parts?

6. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Can't remember what its called and take some lube with ya! It will cost more but go to dodge to get it and save yourself some headache time and money in the long run!

7. the new boss 92

its formy buddies truck witch is a 97 and its doing the same thing, his dad runs a shop so we have nothing to better to do late at night other then find projects

8. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

If you can do it yourself and don't mind doing it again you can get one a little cheaper at the parts store! The good thing is with those is the go out again before the warranty is up!

9. the new boss 92

would you be able to fine the name of the nameof the part for me and shootme a pm or something. right now we are just going to be replacing the whole sending unit and pump because we dont know what the hell is wrong with it!

10. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

That's what I was looking for! Fuel sending unit is what its called!

11. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Hope that helps ya!