1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fuel gauge problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by peanut46g, Oct 15, 2006.

1. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

My 76 chevy was sitting for a while and then i got it out and drove it a little to get it ready for winter. After stopping at a stop sign and pulling out the fuel gauge started going crazy and went way up to F then back to to E and keeps going everywhere. It had a little less than 1/4 tank before it happened, now it reads around half and tank when its sitting still. Is it the sending unit or maybe a loose wire?? Thanks

2. snowcan

snowcan Member

Clean the the ground from the sending unit first, but it sounds like you need a new sending unit.

3. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

fuel wire check orange

ok there is a orange wire that is a hot wire for the sending unit that runs from the engine firewall down the passenger side or frame rail to the tank.check for a small cut or a burn spot on the wire near anyof the exhaust pipes.or rite near the starter at the passenger side manifold.I also had fuel gauge stick at a half tank and i quick fixed it with a 8 gallons of gas in tank and dumping in a half quart of automatic tranny fluid in the tank.And 15 miles down the road it free-up and started working this was on a newer 2000 ford go figure.