1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fuel gage 90 chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by waveconcepts, Dec 1, 2008.

1. waveconcepts

waveconcepts Junior Member
    from indiana

ok so heres the deal i just finished fixing my tail ligts ( had a grounded out wire) had the truck runing for a couple hours then parked in the garage to fix an interior door panel. after fixing the door panel got in the truck and backed out of garage all of the sudden i went form a 1/4 of a tank to above full. now that was on a level surface pulled back up the drive which has a little slope the tank goes back down to just above 1/4 more like a 1/2 so i pulled in the garage disconnected the power to the fuel pump and tested the 3 wires in the harness from rear of truck all the way up front under the hood the three wires tested ok so then i check the ground wire back there and it was in pretty bad shape so i drilled a new whole in the frame and put a new on it then checked the fuel level again same thing not sure what to do next before ripping the dash out to start tracing those wires. also i did sip tie a cluster of wires together under dash to clean up everything thought maybe that was crossing a wire so i cut all the zip ties. any sugg?? it has a single tank

2. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Had the same problem on my old Monte Carlo. It wound up be a bad ground.

3. waveconcepts

from indiana

is there a seperate ground for the gage itself ?

4. waveconcepts

from indiana

or is that just the entire instrument panel?

5. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Oh the wonderful fuel gauge problem. Its usually a bad ground somewhere, or coincedentally it could be the actual gauge starting to goof up. Good luck, wish I could be more help.

6. waveconcepts

from indiana

well here is the next issue i pulled out of my drive way last night and i lost all power wiggeld some wires under hood and it came back on. I'm going to redo all my ground wires and replace all most of my external wireing after i drop the tank hopefully this will fix all my problems!! I hate this but not sure what else to do..I fugure it will take longer to trace wires than just to replace the external wires besides that the nylon wire looms are cracked and dry rotted all over the place.