1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Filter

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by chcav1218, Oct 26, 2008.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I just did the first oil change in my truck since I bought it, and I decided to change the fuel filter. It turns out that the last owner never changed it and the factory filter was still in there. My truck has 150,000 miles on it now. Could this have caused any long term damage? Should I have the fuel system cleaned?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Could have removed some life from the fuel pump if it caused a long term restriction but other than that don't be concerned with it. Change the filter and run it.

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Is this on a diesel?? If so, I am amazed it never plugged on him. If it's a gasser I would say that I'm not surprised it's never been changed. Most people view that part of maintaining a vehicle as unnecessary.

4. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Yeh its a 6.0 gas engine. It just seems odd that it had never been changed after all that time.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What leads you to believe that its never been changed? Truck may have been serviced at the dealer in the past. Most GM dealers use genuine GM filters.

6. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Well it was totally rusted in place, it was an AC Delco, and the date on it was '99

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, likely original then. The rust wouldn't be so much of an indication (as they get pretty rough looking regardless) but the fact that it had the readable date on it would identify it as the originally installed filer.

8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Yehp thats what I figured. I'm not worried about it now cus theres a new one in there. Now I can focus on more important things like putting my plow back together lol