1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel economy for 2000 GM 3/4 ton 4X4 with 6.0 L

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by joed, Jul 22, 2003.

1. joed

joed Member

What mileage can I expect to get from a 2000 GM 2500 extended cab 4X4 long box equipped with the 6.0 L engine? It has GVRW of 8600 lbs so it is not the heavy duty version. Thanks

2. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

joed

It depends on how you drive ;)

I usually get 13 around town & 18 highway :waving:

But have got as little as 9 around town & 16 highway with my foot in it all the time :eek:

Snowplowing 7 mpg but who cares when your making $$$$$$payup

3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I have the same truck but short box and get around 12 if i'm easy on the pedal otherwise 9-12 sems to be the norm,i was actually just going to start a thread on the lack luster performance of that truck so i'll keep that off here so as not to rob your question:p

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Most of the ones we see seem to either get decent mileage (14/19) or really bad (8/12).The ones that seem to get the worst mileage are all hard driven work trucks,which carry a lot of weight.

5. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Sluggish ???????????? I don't know about that

I just completed a a three hundred mile trip ( a combination of highway and city driving) I did a quick calculation and came up with a average of 14.25 mpg. I havent done any work to my truck since I bought it a couple of months ago, and I admit I did have it running about 65-70 mph on the highway, so I know that that decreased the mpg a bit.

I don't know about the various comments about the 6.0 being sluggish... I haven't noticed it in my truck. As a matter of fact, I have to take off slow from a stop light/sign because I can actually break the back tires loose on dry pavement and spin them for quite a distance ( even further on wet pavement) if not careful.

I know the tires aren't brand new, but the do have adequate tread, so its not like I'm spinning slicks.

I do think however I may have a bad u joint because every once and awhile I hear a clunk. Gonna get the truck serviced, and have it all checked out for winter. Then It starts getting outfitted for winter. Checking out various plow dealers this week, and will soon have the plow mounted. then I am building a weight box for the bed so that I can retain a sufficent counter weight over the rear axles and still have room for eny equipment/supplies I might need to load into the truck for plowing.