1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel costs?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by NoPlowMan, Sep 11, 2010.

1. NoPlowMan

NoPlowMan Junior Member

Hi, I've been reading around the forum for a couple of weeks now and I have one quesiton in particular that I haven't found an answer to.

As a percentage of total costs what does fuel cost you?

I'm wondering what this would be for someone running a single truck just doing residentials.

If you've got lots of trucks and equipment then just reply with that so I know.

Thanks for the help!
  2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

your going to have a hard time pinning that one down. everybody's business has different parameters that will change the outcome. if you have 100 accounts all within 1 mile your fuel will be very different than the guy with 20 accounts in a 20 mile route.

I'm sure you already realize all this, but I don't think your going to get the info your wanting, good luck.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You also have to consider the depth of the snow. Deeper snow takes more fuel to plow. It also depends on the price of fuel. A couple years ago, my fuel costs were close to doble what they were last year. Just to give you an idea, I average around 8 miles to the gallon across the board with all my trucks.
  4. NoPlowMan

NoPlowMan Junior Member

I realize there are many variables to this but any sort of idea I could get would help.

Right now I don't know if fuel is 5% or 50% of the total.
  5. NoPlowMan

NoPlowMan Junior Member

Let me take a different approach.

From what I found using Google, a one man operation doing residential accounts, fuel is about 25% of the total costs.

Does this sound hi or low or right about there?
  6. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Figure on 2 tanks for a good storm. Its hard to pin it down to 25 percent of costs because everyones cost is different. Some people have paid off equipment, some dont salt....etc Gas expense isnt much compared to what you are pulling in. A couple of driveways can cover your fuel. Hope this helps.

7. NoPlowMan

NoPlowMan Junior Member

Thanks Bruce.

Maybe if I narrow it down a bit more.

Is fuel your biggest chung of change?

From what I can tell, insurance is lower and maintenance usually a bit higher.

I understand if equipment breaks in that particular year then maintenance will be higher but that cost should be averaged over every push.
  8. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Our Fuel costs run between 4 & 6 %, thats for everything on the road. I find 25% a very high number.
  9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I get 4 MPG plowing
  10. NoPlowMan

NoPlowMan Junior Member

4 MPG!!! :dizzy:

Wow, I was guessing 10mpg for a 7.3L powerstroke, looks like your'e driving a jeep, I'm guessing it's not the 4 cylinder though?

Thanks for the input.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  11. NoPlowMan

NoPlowMan Junior Member

It looks like you have loads of equipment which probably means you also have alot of labor, maintenance, and insurance?
  12. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

First, wages, that is about 30%, next fuel, 10%. Now these numbers are approximations,
  13. Grn Mtn

my 2500 hemi ram could get 25 cruising on the hi-way unloaded, 14 around town, 10 loaded and 4 plowing.

the f550's we drive, both gas and diesel seem to be around 7 loaded and plowing, since i don't work with them in the summer i'm not sure what they get when there is not a 9' plow hanging off the front and 2+ yards of salt in the back.
  14. Grn Mtn

tractors aren't as fuel thirsty as truck i take it.
  15. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

year round fuel cost two trucks 08 550 and 33k sterling with a 59 cummins 11.4 percent year round exp. i average between 500-900 miles per week
  16. NoPlowMan

NoPlowMan Junior Member

Thanks for the responses, I see that fuel is a bit less than I anticipated.

However I think my circumstances vary a bit.

I will not have loans to pay on and I will try to perform most of my maintenance and repairs as I am a mechanic. However, I'm guessing that if something breaks after I've been plowing for 20 hours straight I'm just going to drive to the shop and say; 'you deal with it.'
  17. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i have a better idea, there are way tomany numbers around, so how about you wait for the snow to come and go plow it. at the end of the year take al gas recipts and add them up and figure it out! lol not that hard!
  18. Grn Mtn

thats where your making a mistake, you need to make enough to replace equipment when the time comes.
  19. NoPlowMan

NoPlowMan Junior Member

Purchasing thousands of dollars of equipment, advertising to find customers, and then plowing an entire season just to figure out what the cost of fuel is, is 'not that hard'?

I suppose I should just assume that's sarcasm. :nod:
  20. NoPlowMan

NoPlowMan Junior Member

So I won't make enough to replace my equipment and then I'll end up with loans?

Is the snow plowing business THAT bad?