1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel costs per hour

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by joeco129, Nov 17, 2007.

1. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

I trying to figure out what my 2004 F350 diesel will cost me per hour to run... 38 gallon tank...

I was offered $53/hour in cash to plow commercial lots but am trying to guess how many hours I will get from a tank of gas and if the $53 an hour is enough... Diesel in CT just hit $3.55/gallon

Any suggestions?

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Well it will take you at least 2.5 hrs to earn the $135.00 that it takes to fill your truck and you should be able to plow for at least 8-22 hrs with a tank full. but depending on what the price market for subs in you area is this could be to low of a price per hr good luck.

3. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

I was thinking about that... but then again it is cash... so it is really worth about $75. and hour if I was getting a check and having taxes taken out.

So you'd guess at minimum 8 hours on a tank?

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Your tank will easily last 8 hours, probably closer to 14 with out very much trouble.

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You'll get WAY over 8 hours. I would figure at least 12 but I wouldn't be surprised if you could get 14 out of it.

6. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

My 05 had a 35 gallon tank and I'd work about 15 - 18 hrs before needing fuel - but I only plowed 75% of that time. I did haul around 4000# of salt continuesly though....

BTW - the 08's have a 29 gallon tank that only has about 25.5 usable - and the fuel milage is worse. I'll be at the Speedway eatin donuts every nite this year.....

7. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sorry with the type-o it's more like 8-12 hrs.

8. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I could be wrong but 53 per Hr. sounds low for Conn.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

He's getting cash. I worked as a sub for $50/hour back in 1989.

10. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

Again, your right... It is cash I am getting... equal to almost $75 and hour by check, before taxes...

Was that $50 you were getting in 1989 cash?

Was a good going rate for subs, on the books, in New England? Or even other areas for that matter...

Do many of you guys that sub get cash? Or are they checks given and you have to deal with taxes?

11. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

Around here a sub will get $50-$60/hour depending on your setup. Most treat you as an independant contractor and will not take taxes out of your check but you will be responsible for paying them at the end of the year.

I can get almost $20.hour to drive someone elses truck. $50 per hour in my truck does not seem like enough IMO but I guess that is what the market is paying.

12. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

ditto. . . .

13. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

I can see $5 per hour fuel costs

14. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Take the cash it wont be around too much longer.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Rates are different in every area. I wasn't insulting your $50/hour, I was simply stating something. I don't work for cash, I love the country I live in and my taxes pay for that. Guys that run their buisiness's in cash are usually the ones I stay away from. JMO