1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Consumption :(

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by The Grassman, Oct 24, 2003.

1. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

I have a quick one for the GM owners. I used to get a lil over 400 km to a tank. The tank size is almost 80 liters i now get this year 300 or a lil over thats in the city. I have been told trying to figure out what he problem is would cost me more then its really worth. What you think ? Could it be Co2 sensors? I have a K&N filter on but thats supposed to help my millage unless you oil the living daylights out of it. :(

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

First off,check the basics,like has it been tuned up lately ? How's the rest of the ignition system,ie cap,rotor and wires.

You need to have the truck scanned to make sure the computer system and related sensors are OK.

Have you added any weight or accesories to the truck that would hurt economy ? Bigger tires ?

3. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

I did plugs, cables, distributer cap last year . Tires are 2 years old same size diffrent ply they are 10 ply but didnt have any probs year before with fuel. It hesitates to start when i start it up. I asked the dealer about fuel and he said it would cost me more then its worth and that my truck has 10 different o2 sensors and its just a sign of old age. I mean the truck runs pretty well and all but just these Minor things. I have had to put the typical old age stuff in it.. Alternator, Brake booster, Water Pump ( those broke down )

I don't know if I am wondering for nothing i have only had it for 3 years 4 this December.

4. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

Does the truck seem like it lost power at all? My brothers 98 Chevy had basically the same symptoms as you, and it was 2 bad injectors, and the 3rd was on its way out. It was just like somebody hit a switch, the truck just bogged down all of a sudden.

5. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

No when i step on the gas it goes. I was saying there is a ticking sound usually more noticeable when you start the truck and drive off. I find sometimes my truck wants to stall but doesn't. I had this motorvac thing done last year where the hook up a dialysis machine for truck and it gets rid of carbon and that junk. I didn't notice a difference.

6. CHPL

CHPL Member

I would check the fuel pressure regulator. On your engine it should be located uner the plastic plenum mounted with the injectors. When they leak it will run rough cold and use more fuel because it leaks directly into the intake often into cyls #5 and &7 so you could check those 2 plugs to see if they are black as an indicator for a possible leak.