1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel consumption per hour

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by hickslawns, Oct 14, 2005.

1. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I know this is a question with many variables, but here goes. Has anyone figured how much fuel per hour they burn plowing? I am talking about a standard 3/4 Ton 4x4 gas engine. Say Ford F-250 with 5.4 v-8 or GM 2500HD with 6.0 v-8. I am interested in the various responses. Yes, I do realize there will be differences with wet and heavy versus light and dry snows. Also differences in 2" vs. 6-8". I am talking about an average truck with an average 2-4" snow. Let me know what you think your averages are. Thanks.
  2. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

well im my 85 dodge with a two barrel 318 i get about 8.5-10 mpg on the road and plowing i use about 2-3 gals. an hr average. i usually dont have to refuel during a storm, but there have been time i have.
  3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Last winter I had a 75mile round trip route, i'd use just over 1/2 of the 30 gal tank in about 4-6 hours, with the truck saying I was getting between 6-9 mpg.
  4. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

I figure I did with my f250 0.14 gal./ mile. Or 150 miles with 21 gal. I think it's like 7-9 mpg:cry:
  5. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

7-9 miles per/gallon
  6. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Thanks guys. Murphyslaw's response was what I was looking for. I can figure my miles per gallon no prob. Gallons per hour is a little tougher as I have never tracked my time versus gallons consumed. Our trucks range from 5-9mpg, but just to keep my hourly rates inline with climbing fuel costs I wanted to know gallons/hour. For example, if you use 2 gal/hr and gas is $1 more than last year, then I need to figure $2 more per hour. So any other opinions whether guesses or calculated on gallons/hr would be appreciated. My subs claim they are using 4 gal/hr and need at least $5/hr more. I want to treat them and myself fairly without gouging the customers. I don't plan on raising profits by increasing customer prices, just maintain profit where we are and cover rising fuel costs. Hope that isn't too confusing.:)
  7. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

1.09 gal Per Hour on my 01 F350 7.3 PSD with 8.5' V plow last winter.
    This was over 2 tanks on 2 different storms.
    All commercial with probably only 20-30 miles of driving between sites per tank.

My old 96 F350 with the fuel injected 5.8 got around 2.3 to 2.5 Per Hr.