1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Consumption Per Hour Figures?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JPO, Jan 24, 2007.

1. JPO

JPO Junior Member

At this point I'm new to the industry and I'm doing some costing figures. The figure I need is how much fuel, in my case gasoline, is the truck going to consume per hour while plowing. Now I realize that there are a million variables but if I could get a ballpark figure it would help me out tremendously. Right now I'm making an uneducated guess that it will use 40-60 litres/hr (10-15gal/hr). Like I said I'm not looking to get a rocket science type formulated equation down to the nearest millionth of a decimal point, just a ballpark figure.

Here's the specs on the truck;
    • 1995 GMC K2500HD 4x4
    • 5.7L Gas
    • Automatic
    • 1994 Meyer 7.5' w/E-60 (800lbs)
    • 600lbs Ballast in bed

Any help at all is appreciated. Thanks guys!

2. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

i really don't have any real #'s for u, so many things will factor into the hour/mileage.. if u need an idea to start at i say cut your fuel mileage in half from what u get normally driving in town and i guess maybe 3-6 gallons per hour.. the 10-15gal per hour is way high...

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I haven't plowed much at all with the new truck
    but many moons and years ago
    a 92 F250 HD, 351
    1.5 yards of sand (talk about ballast), 8' western plow with wings.
    I could plow 12 to 18 hours before it really started getting below 1/4 tank (two tanks)
    it probably held 20+ gallons

So, 1.5 gallons an hour? maybe?

4. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

one of my trucks that is a srw350 with a 460ci with dual tanks is about 38 total gallons i belive.. im sure yours is the same..

5. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

This should make you feel better...

This wont help but my Oshkosh used to burn about 4.5 gal per hour...

6. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

1975 International Scout II with 304cid auto plowing in low range 99% of time gets about 1.5 gallons per hour.

1997 F350 4x4 wrecker 460cid auto plowing in low range 90% of the time uses about 2 to 2.25 gallons per hour.

2001 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L (366cid) auto plowing in low range 75% of the time uses about 1 to 1.25 gallons per hour.

New Holland tractor 70 HP turbo gear shuttle shift uses about 2 gallons per hour, that was with rotary cutter in summer, haven't had enough winter to use it for a full day. I would assume the snowblower would use about the same.

These figures are average, around 20ish degrees, average snow not to heavy and about 6-8 inches.

Hope this helps.

Derek

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I have f250 5.4 I plowed for 11hrs and used a half tank 12-15 gals.

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Oh yeah, typo, should be 30+ gallons.
    bad typist finger. :)

If you say 38, I believe you, it was a long time ago.
    I know you always lost some by having two tanks, never run them down.
    And these were big commercial lots, so pushing long hard runs.

9. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

1.09 gal Per Hour on my old 01 F350 7.3 PSD with 8.5' V plow a couple of winters ago.
    This was over 2 tanks on 2 different storms.
    All commercial with probably only 20-30 miles of driving between sites per tank.

My old 96 F350 (gas) 7' straight blade with wings, and the fuel injected 5.8 got around 2.3 to 2.5 Per Hr.

My new 04 F350 6.0 PSD with Western 8.5'V gets about the same as my 01 did, I haven't done the math on it yet, but it appears to be about the same as the 01 right around 1gal per hour.

10. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 Senior Member

03 Dodge diesel plowed 6 hours 1/4 tank (about 7-8 gal.)
    99 GMC 6.0 gas 6 hrs about 1/2 tank (about 10-11 gal.)

11. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

Rowski, why would you plow in low gear?? Does it help? Just wondering, seems like it would be harder on the truck.

12. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

We are in a relative hilly (mtn) very rural area. I find fuel usage is less. Transmission temperatures are lower. I have not had a transmission failures (yet).

My '01 Chevy has 98k miles, does the bulk of the plowing and in the summer tows (locally) 8k to 14K trailer.

The '97 Ford F350 has about 38K miles, did the bulk of the plowing the first three years and does a lot of local recovery and towing, a 60 mile trip happens 2 or 3 times a year. The other towing is in our hilly terrain. But this summer the low reverse sprag (one way clutch) let go due to much manual down shifting to get engine braking. The trans still works doesn't slip but has no engine braking in manual 1 and a slight engagement delay on reverse.

The Scout has a Torque Flight 727. We use to snap the output shaft in extension housing (between transmission and transfer case). But I figured it out there was to much play between input shaft and output shaft, the play was with the specs but after setting the play to minimum spec. All is well, three seasons.

This is just my experience, it works for me.

Derek

13. JPO

JPO Junior Member

I just wanted to say thanks for the replies to my question. This information really helps out. It looks like my "uneducated guess" of 10-15gal/hr was way off!:salute:

14. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I run a 97 K2500, Same plow set up, more weight with a tool box, Salt Spreader and salt. I figure I use roughly 1.5 to 2 gals per hour.

15. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

During the Valentine's Day snow storm I had the truck operational for 36 hours. Between plowing and taking breaks in the truck I averaged about 0.5 gals/hour.