1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Consumption/HR

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by breadoflife, Nov 27, 2009.

1. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

I am trying to get an idea of fuel pricing for this relatively large(well medium sized) lot. I am trying to figue out what kind of fuel consumption our 1977 Chevy runs plowing, as so i can add up the fuel expense and usage for this lot to figure out our per push profit. even if not an exact equasion, but im thinking about 7MPG? would that be fairly close, assume about 2" of "normal" snow?

FYI, 7 MPG would equal about 8.6 GPH of 87 Octane Gasoline. Although it seems like a little much, but idk the fuel economy(mpg) of this truck in the first place. Its the Chevy in my siggy
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Depending on type of snow and travel time a lot. Used one for years sometimes I could get 18 hrs out of a tank.
  3. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

a lot of what, you werent the most clear...
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

For starters get MPG's out of your head.

Figure about 3 gallons an hour.

PS How the hell fast do you plan on plowing? 8.6 x 7 = 60 MPH :dizzy:
  5. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

well i know that i aint plowing at 60 but as this lot it a mid sized lot im going to try to get 10-15mph across the long sets.but either way, i figgur that on average, vehicles get their peak highway economy at around 60. but roughly three gallons per hour? thanks!
  6. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I don't know what to tell you about a 1977 but my 2002 uses between 2 and 4 GPH depending on how hard I am pushing
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

8.6 GPH? Boy I hope not as you'll need to refill every 1.8 hours. :eek:

You have many variables here but for an example that may help you I ran a '79 with a small block for years and always kept very detailed records of fuel usage while plowing. Over an entire plowing season it averaged 3.1 GPH during a snow event. This includes all idle time as well as travel time between accounts.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

B&B is a GOD.:salute: If you are that concerned about your fuel bill you aren't charging enough. When it gets low fill it.
  9. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree you should get 3-4 gph if everything is running correctly. But if you are extremely worried you should bid higher
  10. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

thats funny

so hes gota 77 chevy ok every time he backs up the speedometer backs up also..are your newer computer rigs trucks add miles when u back up...now what.s the guesstimate
  11. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

It's still the same, the odometer has nothing to do with it. GPH is the accurite way to figure the fuel usage when plowing. I would agree with the rest, figure 3-4 GPH as long as the thing is running well.