1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Card For Multiple Trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stan, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Stan

Stan Senior Member

So I get one of those invitations for a "fleet card" (aka fleetcor) thinking this was a great concept to capture all fuel expenses. I call the number the other night with a recording of hours from 7am-7pm, Monday-Friday. No problem, I call the following evening around 5pm with a recording "your hold time is.....1 minute. After 10 minutes on the phone I switch it to speaker in fear of cauliflower ear. Now it has been 20 minutes with a repeating message blah blah blah. I put the phone down still on speaker, take a shower, log on the pc for a weather report listening to the repetitious recording. Go back into the living room and compare weather forcast from the nws to the local tv station. I pickup the phone noticing the screen and have been on hold for 67 minutes. Needless to say I gave it up.

Does anyone use a fuel program that they can suggest? Local direct accounts are out of the question, we bounce around quite a bit.

2. XtremeSnowPros

XtremeSnowPros Member

Wrightexpress

3. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

yea , and it didn't go thru so i had to pay out of my own pocket. just what i wanted to do is fuel up someone elses loader,thank god it was only a couple gallons hahaha

4. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Checked out the Hess card, what a rip. They charge $20 application fee and $2.50 for every time you pay by check

5. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

x2

I think its like 30 bucks or so to set up the account, one-time fee. then it's $2 per card per month. I use it for 5 trucks. The $10 bucks a month is worth it for me for the nice detailed statement you get each month. I have to do IFTA reporting each quarter for my 2 CDL trucks, and the fuel reports Wright Express sends make it a lot easier. It's nice tracking MPG on everything as well. For those with employees, you will know who bought fuel when, where, and how much. If one guys truck is only getting 3mpg, you know somethings up, lol. Each person gets their own passcode also, so even if they switch trucks, you know who it was. We had them at the company i used to work for and they worked great, that's why I looked into it for myself. I don't know what the customer service is like, you can apply for an account on their website and I've never had any problems, so I've never talked to any one. I've been using them for a little over a year.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

my old boss has been using them for prob close to 10 years. he has over 40 vehicles on the road for his work.

thay seem to work great and almost anyplace takes them.

swipe card. type mileage on truck. type passcode in. begin to fuel.

pass code / miles keep people honest.

7. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Yeah, i forgot to mention that...

I don't think I've ever pulled in to a place that doesn't take them.

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I've used many over the years as employee, manager, and now owner....Wirght Express is by far the best out there.

9. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Good reasoning on the cost of doing business. During the "off season" do you suspend the account or the amount of cards?

10. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

Fuelman, no fees for cards- no interest- no fees for paying with check and discount for online billing. 1 card per truck, drivers have their own pin numbers that they can record with each truck card, that way you know who fueled up. records date, time, station location, pump, and gallons per mile and type of fuel. and they help you if you have a thief.

11. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

I use all my trucks for different types of work all year long. I don't have an "off season", so no I don't do that. Not sure if it is an option or how easy it is to do but I imagine it might be possible. Sorry, can't help.

12. bt99yz125

bt99yz125 Junior Member

wrightexpress= no problem and ez

13. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

We also use Wright Express, they're great. Definitely worth the $2/month per card fee. Excellent detailed reporting, and I can go online and track purchases right away.

14. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

We use Wright Express. Awesome. No complaints. Each driver gets gas card when we go plow. Nearly 70 cards get issued at dispatch. It's a great system, look into it if you can.

15. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Chase-Mastercard-not visa has a 3% back program for individuals

16. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

they are smart

We've used fleet cards for 15 years at least. They are a great way to manage fuel by driver. Fleet Services out of Texas is who we use.

I am sure there are many good companies to use but I would use someone.

17. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Thanks all for the good feedback. Just need to check into the "off season" issue.

18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

In my area I use kwik fuel gas card. I like it because you have to pay it off each month so no spill over to the next month or big balance.

19. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Sort of like an amex card