1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel aux tanks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by glenspot, Oct 13, 2004.

1. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

I see bed-mounted aux fuel tanks all over.....Seems like everyone under a hat has one in their truck.

ANy thoughts? I guess, unless you're a logger, or work out in the woods a lot, I don't see how a such an expensive purchase pays off.

I can see how having one would be a good idea for when we're out plowing at 4am, and the nearest gas station is a half hour away.

Who uses one? And, is it a "I can't live without it" situation.

2. wls

wls Senior Member

we run a couple diesels and I have a 100 gallon fuel tank in my truck, it was taking the crew up to 1/2 hour to fuel up, in his truck he has a 36 gal tank for mower gas. I pull my truck next to the other one to fuel up, at my convenience. :)
  3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

sure they are not needed until 2am and there are no stations with diesal open till 5!
  4. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

need one/want one

What I was trying to get at was.....:

I am trying to determine if I NEED one, or if I just WANT one. I can see the "pros" of having one. I just don't know if I really NEED one or not.

Trying to get a feel for what others are doing.

5. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Those fuel tanks are really handy to have around. If you need extra weight for plowing you could just fill it up. I primarily use mine to fuel up farming equipment & remove it in the off season. I plow mostly in a town that has two large truck stops & several 24 hr gas stations. I try to never let my fuel get very far below 1/2 tank encase of power failure. If you have the extra payup laying around then go get one. You will find all kinds of uses for it.
  6. MSC

MSC Member

If you own any type of equipment, they are a must.
    You can never expect a fuel delivery to be on time.
    Extra weight for plowing also.
    Makes the truck ride just a little better too!

See below and you'll see why I need one.

7. DJC

DJC Senior Member

plus........... what if you drive the evtra 1/2 hour to get fuel and they are closed :mad: Iv'e had that happen defore. :waving:
  8. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If you live in a very rural area i would consider getting one. I don't worry about gas as many stations are open 24 hrs in my town. I usually fill the tank just before it snows and iam all set at least for 24 hours of plowing. I never even thought of a power failure. I have the benefit of living in the suburbs where if the power was out in my area, i could easily drive to a location with power to fill up if i had to. If it was a huge blackout (very rare) then i guess i would be screwed. The extent of my extra gas is a 5 gal can.
  9. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

There are other options besides the in bed tanks. Check out this site. I believe this place is one of the best. www.tranferflow.com
  10. Ripple

Ripple Member

Oldmankent...I think you typed your link wrong....
  11. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

We have 5 bobcats and 2 front end loaders so it is much easier to fill them up on the jobsite than to haul them to the pumps.
  12. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

during the non winter seasons i use a 100 gallon fuel tank to fill all our mowers and equipment up. during the winter i use it to top the truck off during long storms.
  13. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

I agree with all of you who use them. Once you get one you wonder how you got along without it. We have 2 250 gallon tanks at the shop and then two trucks with 60 gallon tanks. They are a great rig at 3am when you need fuel and don't want to run a loader all over town, they just call me and i can run my truck to them ( lot faster and they can keep working until I get there)

My tank is L-shaped, it goes under my tool box in the bed so leaves lots of room in the bed (well as much room as you can get in a 6 foot box).

Fuel Tank.jpg