1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Additives/Diesels

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by truszip, Jan 5, 2004.

1. truszip

truszip Junior Member

What's everyone using for the winter for fuel additives and how much per tank works best. I've got a 97 F350 dual tank job. Thanks.
  2. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

We use keen diesel treatment. Seems to work pretty good.:drinkup:
  3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I haven't used anything in the past 185,000 miles for winter treatment. All the fuel stops around here buy their fuel from the refineries with winterizer already added. I am sure up in America Jr. :D they do the same. Just pump good ole #2 diesel and let it be. I do know of some people who add 1/2 gallon of K1 to a full tank of diesel. Keeps it from waxing it up I guess.
  4. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

best thing to do is just use the winter blend that the truck stops pump out.if you have to use any additive,lucas fuel treatment is a good brand to use,also howes fuel treatment is good also.it has a antigel agent in with it.

a mix of 75-25 diesel-kero mix is good for winter use.
  5. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

fuel additives

I belive
    That all diesel in the northest starting in Oct. has additive . Increasing amounts in the coldest months. Summertime I usually stock up Lucas or Howes. When the temps are going to drop Below 10 degree or so I will add one small container( opp. 8 oz) just before a fill up.
  6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I hardly ever use any additives but when I do, I use Keen.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have had 2 Diesel vehicles with over 200k driven on each.
    Use the additive when you fuel in cold weather. The only time mine failed to start was when it was -10 and I did not add it. Do not trust fuel to be winterized! It's worth the cost to make sure your fuel does not gel at low temps. ( What's a tow truck cost?)Plus most have cleaners added to it too, can't hurt to keep it clean and gel free.
  8. wolfmanah

wolfmanah Junior Member

Gotta watch the truck stops they often have both #1 and #2 no additives. When I see one of those stations I'll just get the straight #1 all the way. I figure what mileage I loose I won't miss anyways. You don't get a truck for fuel economy.
    When the first deep freeze comes in I'll add antijel to the tank just incase.
  9. grizz_chaser

grizz_chaser Junior Member

I don't trust the stations anymore to have a proper blend, I had to sit in 20 below for 3 hrs. waiting on a tow. I use Stanadyne Performance Formula. I had heard Ford is now recommending the use of this product, not sure if thats true or not, but at just a few cents a gallon more I think it's worth it.