1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fual pump problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by willarde, Mar 14, 2002.

1. willarde

willarde Junior Member
    from pa

i am puting a 1974 350 into my 1990 silverodo the engine is going to be carborated so i need to use the macanical pump on the older engine. will it pump threw the pump in the tank

2. dany

dany Member

If it doesn't you can always just take the one out of the tank. Why do you want to leave the pump in the tank?

3. 81pickup

81pickup Junior Member

Your best bet would be to use an in-line elecric fuel pump. I'm not sure if the one in the tank will work. Depends on the setup. The electric is a much better choice because it will flow better and will probably even free up a few ponies becase it is driven by elecricity not engine power. If you do decide to go with the mechanical go for a good Holley one. I saw a nice one at Lordco that I am considering for my car.

Hope I have helped.

Erik

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

With an electric pump such as a Holley, you'll also need an adjustable regulator. If I am not mistaken, you mount the pump on the frame rail as close to the tank as possible. I am pretty sure the Holley is more of a "push" pump than a suction pump. Then again, the last Holley electric fuel pump install I did was 10 years ago......

~Chuck

5. 81pickup

81pickup Junior Member

Chuck is right. The pump should be as close to the tank as possible. Most electric pumps are designed to push rather than pull the fuel. Good luck with that swap.

Erik.