1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frustration is settling in.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bad Luck, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I can't find anyone with a deflector for my blade. I've called Angelo's, Anchor, Northern, and Big Nate, with no success.

I'm about 20 minutes away from running down to the nearest dealer and getting raped for 175.00 for one of theirs. :realmad:

2. tmltrans

tmltrans Member

Deflector

I know the snofoils are expensive, but I love the thing on my 8'hd mm2. My dealer talked me into it and I'm glad he did. Occasionally get a little snow on top of it when stacking but no big deal. Keeps the snow off the truck and I feel I can stack higher. Really great for long windrow runs.

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

What kind ar you looking for? Poly? If so, can't you just buy one and drill new holes for it and then install it.

4. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Have you tried Central Parts Warehouse?

5. I just bought a after market generic kit from a local supplier. I looked for the rubber material in bulk and figured I make my own. Snoways version is plastic and I'd rather go with rubber for its flexibility. But, they sell a 9" x 10' piece with 4 top rails and all the nuts and bolts for like $90. Cut to size and pretty much fits any blade. Drop me a message if you'd like more info.

6. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Plows ARE HARD

Has any one tried to drill holes in the plow? I did, I was hard a all get out. I quit after breaking 3 bits. This is not bashing Oldmankent, I would really like to drill through it any ideas? type of bit ?

* I have the rubber and bolts to make my own, just can't get trough the plow.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

The steel that the mold board is made outa is pretty thin. Dont know why you have issues? I used an old peice of conveyor belt.

8. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

The spot that I want to drill is folded over three times :eek:

9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Find another spot then :p J/K

I drilled through my cutting edge before. Be patcient, use a good bit, dont push hard, use some oil, let the bit cool occasionally.

10. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

are you kidding me!!!!!

get the fisher sno-foil can not be beat i could go on and on just get it allready!!!!!!!!! :waving: :redbounce :redbounce :redbounce

11. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Thanks guys. I have access to grade 8 hardware it's just a matter of finding someone with extra rubber laying around. Be it an actually deflector or old conveyor belt. I bought my plow from CPW and wasn't too happy with their shipping methods. My plow ended up getting all sorts of gouged during shipping and they left my moldboard on the loading dock. As far as drilling into the blade, get yourself some Cool Tool Cuting fluid and let the bit do the work. Don't force it to make the whole. A nice steady pressure.

12. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Go to your local rock quarry or asphalt plant. They will give away scrap peices of rubber belting. These places throw out peices all the time after they make repairs to conveyors. They would be glad to give it away just to get rid of it.

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Try a Cobolt drill bit- they're made for steel only- and hard steel at that. Also use cutting oil as has been said- you'll get through it.

14. GSE

GSE Senior Member

Rubber Snow Deflector

If you're looking for a rubber deflector, check these guys out:

http://www.anchorrubber.com/specialty/specialty.html

I had sticker shock when I called the Fisher dealer, $250 for a piece of rubber! Yikes.

Anchor is selling 12" deflector material for $5.75 per foot. I ordered an 8 and 9 footer today, and should have it next week. I'll let you all know how it turns out......

15. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I drill and tap a lot of Hardened steel and like some have said cutting oil and good bits are the key, not the ones from the local hardware either. I get Chicago Latrobe bits from Grainger I pay on average around $30.00 and up a bit but I have used them for on average a year before having to replace them. Make sure you are using the low speed setting on the drill this will save your bits on the larger sizes. I use low on anything over 1/4"

16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Suggestion: forget the grade 8 hardware get SS. You do want to have the option of removing it for repainting of the blade or replacement of the rubber withoug the hassle of trying to cut off rusty hardened steel hardware, now do you? (you think drilling the moldboard is tough- try drilling Grade 8!)

17. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

For you guys looking for a rubber deflector, a friend of mine just got one through northern tool , I think you can find them online, I have also found them on e-bay.