1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frustration 101; 04 2500HD Light sensor retreive

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DeereGuy, Nov 22, 2004.

1. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

How the heck do I get this little dome light sensor back out so my headlights etc. will work right :realmad: . It was rattling a little and as soon as I touched it pop, gone forever. I worked at it with dental floss lassoed around it for an hour or so but can't get it through. (Maybe more Beer would help :D )

Any suggestions. I'm assuming I or someone will have to dismantle the dash. I could probably get the Dealership to do it but I'm not sure if its covered. Maybe there's a trick, or not.

Any help on this one.

Thanks

2. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

The upper dash pad will have to be removed. The photo sensor mounts like a 1/4 turn dzus fastener. It's not that hard of a job, but since your truck is still under warranty I would take it to your dealer.

3. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

I guess my dealership did think it was a big job because I made an appointment today to check on a dash 4wd warning message and to have the sensor fixed.

What a waste of my time. The error code could not be found in the vehicle memory and, they weren't able to fish out the sensor and weren't prepared to take the dash apart. They did nothing. To top it off my kids were off from school so I had them in tow and all for not. I really could have strangled the guy at the desk. They want my truck for a day. I really don't have a day to lose for a light sensor.

If the 4WD warning comes up again it also immobilizes the system. I understand but will my customers?

4. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

You might want to try a different dealer. There is a reflash available for the atc module on your truck. It addesses the exact issue you are having, service 4x4 light or message and no codes stored. If you stop and shut your truck off when this happens and then restart it, your 4wd should work again, unless the module is asleep, or junk. This is why my 2002 GMC 2500HD has a floor shifter for the transfer case. When I want to use my 4wd, I want to use it, not watch a service light pop on! Trucks are in for atc problems all the time at my dealer.

5. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

redhenny16,

Thanks for that info. Ya, I tried shutting it off and starting it again but it stayed on for an another 45 min. until I made a stop and then it went away. It is the second time it's happened. If I understand correctly the flash memory is not working properly and there is a fix for that. And the 4wd message is part of that quirk. There is probably nothing wrong with the 4wd system? Is this correct?

Funny, my 87' Toyota never had this problem.

6. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

A reflash might take care of it, but your atc module (active transfercase module) might be defective. Sometimes the four button control switches go out also. The rest of the system usually holds up pretty good.

7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

DEERE.........It is a PIA to get to the auto on sensor. Ya gotta put the radio out and manuever around a few supports to fix..

There is a easy way to disable the auto ons by cutting the 2 wires that run to the sensor from the BCM (located near the steering column-inside the truck) and installing a 10 ohm resistor.

I found this on another GM truck site and have done it to my 01.
    Will post full instructions if needed.............

Your 4 wd not working?..........lots of beefs elsewhere because of bad 4wd switches too.........

Under warranty...let the dealer screw with it !...................geo

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

You can actually reach the sensor from behind the radio. I did the same thing on my 04.. I popped the dash... no screws... pulled the radio and you can sort of squeeze your hand in there and get then sensor back in place... it is not easy but can be done.. the dash will flex a bit to get you hand in, then it is a matter of using your fingers to get the sensor back up in there.

On your 4x4 light. I had the indicator light come up on my '00 1500.. turns out it was the control switch that needed to be replaced. Switch was not cheap, but never had the problem again.

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

So I guess the moral of this story is.....

Don't fiddle with the Nipple sticking out of your dash! :nono:

:D

10. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

TLS,

But... I couldn't help myself. :eek:

(Lge Pizza box fits just about right up there on the passenger side) I don't honestly think it was secure, ever. And.. I just had to touch it. :blush2:

TLS, tell me you've never touched it. I just got caught :rolleyes:

Frozen, I try to stay away from popping things apart. Since I don't know how its held together. How many places etc. But I might try it if I can find a breakdown picture. Will just the radio section pop off? Or is it the complete dash end to end.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  11. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

The dash just pops off. If you have tilt wheel lower it all the way, put the gear shift in 1st(don't start the truck), and give the dash a gentle tug, it will pop easy. The radio should be held in by three hex head screws(there metric 8mm I think). Like I said before, you just have to reach back in there and feel around and then pop it back in place. This is most likely what any dealer would do, so it is well worth doing yourself since it will not cost you $60+ per hour to do it. I had mine back in place in like 10 minutes.

hope this helps!! :drinkup:

12. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Frozen,

Here's to ya :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

Fixed in 30 minutes. I had to figure out that the "nipple" needed to be rotated back 180 degrees then turned into place before it would seat correctly. Factory install was incorrect and thats why it dropped outta sight so easily. I guess its not a symetrical part. Anyways, sure beats dealing with a day without my ride. Why they just didn't fix it when I brought it in is beyond me. Thanks for the info.

13. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

DeereGuy,

Glad I could help....I actually am going to dab some glue on it to prevent it from happening again, just in case someone else get curious!!!