1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frustrating To Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SnoPro Inc, Sep 24, 2010.

1. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

:realmad:It frustrates me how all the big time, big money companies think you have to go out and spend $60k on a new truck and $6k on a new plow to start a company. Buying an older used truck isn't good enough. Don't they realize we're all trying to get to be a big company, we don't have the funds to go spend 60 or 70 grand to start. Just makes me mad how they think all us 1 truck guys are dumb.:realmad:

2. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Why would a big company even care what you buy, drive or plow with ? I can't think of one company that buy's $60k trucks even thinking about you... unless you lowball one of their accounts.

As for why they have $60k trucks, it's because they don't want break down's on their $60K a year accounts.

(edit)
    Don't worry about the big companies. Do your thing and hopefully one day some one will ***** about all of your $60K trucks.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

And it probably frustrates them how we dump on them for being "cheap" and "cheating" us.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You don't have to spend 60K on a truck. A crew cab diesel is a nice truck but a brand new, full warranty regular cab, plow prepped auto. gasser is half that and will have considerbly lower maintance cost.

5. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Is it not just as frustrating these guys using $5k trucks to service $50k accounts for $20-30k because they are lowballers, with much less overhead? The same guys that have no back up plan if something breaks during the season? To each their own, but I would rather buyer newer more reliable trucks and cover my a$$. I would not go spend $60 on a truck though to plow snow!

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Agreed. I doubt USM cared that I got a new 3/4 ton and plow. Likely all they care is whether I'll agree to what they offer.

7. nekos

nekos Senior Member

USM is in business because of all the guys with $5k trucks.

8. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

This is petty. When people are dying around you, (My Dad is dying of cancer) You really will have a better life when you realize that it is necessary to worry about the things you CAN control and forget about the things you CAN'T control. Think about it.

9. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

no truer words have been typed on this site......
    sorry to hear about your dad but it does change the way you think doesn't it?

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Well put! sorry to hear about your Dad. Unfortunately most of us dont think like that until something traumatic like that happens. And honestly these USM, BFS,AGMC digs are getting old. Who knows, you might be making more per hour with your one truck than a few of theirs put together. Do yourself a favor, don't listen to 95% of the stuff on here, dont worry about XYZ company and bid your price (hopefully its in line with going rates) and do what you can. I learned these few things (from the owner of one of these "big companies") a few years ago and its worked out well. Ya win some, ya loose some.

11. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

that comment really just made me stop think how thankful i am for having a plow rig and being able to make some money vs worrying about what other people do with there money. sorry bout you dad by the way

12. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

Very True PlotAtNight, Sorry to hear about your dad also. Guess that gives me all the answers i need! I'll stop bitchin and start plowin!

13. RM&M

RM&M Member
    from ERIE

ya know i know what your talking about snowpro. but it goes all over every aspect of starting your business. theres always gonna be the guys that are better off than you or have the money to have better trucks, equipment, and accounts. I started mowing lawns 3 years ago and just started plowing last year and ive been doing it with crap eqiupment and no knowledge of what i should be charging.
    And then you have all the guys with all the big fancy commercial equipment, mowers and dump trucks and diesel's giving you dirty looks when they drive by you like your cramping thier style and taking money out of their pocket. well when i sit home 3 or 4 days a week because i dont have anything lined up they are still working so ive come to figure out that you just gotta not give a %$#^ what anyone else thinks about you your equipment or what you are doing and just do what you gotta. I just use the BS everyone feeds you and use it as a little motivation to get bigger and better and then maybe one day i can be the one feeding every new guy out there a line of ^%#$. you either do what you can and do well or you dont. but screw anyone who gives you **** for trying. they were all in our boat at one time.

sorry to hear about your dad plowatnight. im going through the same. wish you the best.

14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

RM&M you kind of hit on a couple points...."no knowledge of what I should be charging". This is what frustrates me the most with new companies. You should know these things BEFORE you start a business. WAnt to do some plowing for us this year? If so PM me.

15. RM&M

RM&M Member
    from ERIE

well see the thing about that is how do you go about finding those sort of things out. There is no right way to go about it. I mean people have suggested "hey have someone you know call for a estimate and see what they charge" but i think that is a low %$# way to go about things. And i think that as far as how to charge for a job does vary greatly on everyones diff situations.

for example: i have one truck, one plow, one old a^% dump truck, some riding mowers, push mowers, weed eaters ect. and a couple thousand a year in insurance costs
    then you have the bigger guy with: employees, insurance and workers comp costs, and hundreds of thousands in commercial grade equipment.

so the point of this is i might be able to go in and do a job for five hundred bucks and have that be a great job for me . when a bigger company has to charge 1500 bucks because thats what they need to make it profitable for them because they have employees and all the other cost in doing the job. Not that i wouldnt like to make 1500 on the job also but if i dont know what someone else would charge all i can do is charge what i think will be profitable for me and hope for the best. Its not that im lowballing or screwing someone else its just that i dont know and i dont have the costs.
    yes it would be nice if everyone knew what everyone charged the same and then the industry could be based on the quality of service and product you provide. unfortunately that is not how it works so theres always gonna be lowballers and fly by nights that never make it and then theres gonna be the big boys who live long and prosporous lives. HOPEFULLY that will be me but hey you live and HOPEFULLY you learn while your at it so you dont keep doing the same stupid things over and over.

you either get it or you dont. and brian thanks for the offer i will pm you

16. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

I don't mean to complain, I really enjoy the site and the people and most of the discussions, I just wanted to help remind you all that this business is fun and awful and stressful and aggravating etc. etc. but really Worry more about the customers you value, build a relationship, enjoy your work and don't worry about what others think about you or your stuff as long as it rolls a windrow

17. PatrickC

PatrickC Senior Member

I like to tell people we are a small family owned and operated company and we take care of our customers and we have grown a little bit each year and get some new to us stuff, as well as new stuff, like a new shovel LOL But seriously you know what we have over some big outfit, hanging a bird feeder for the elderly lady on the route that just can't do it herself, asking how a customer is doing after knee surgey and if you need something give me a call that is us. The guys that don't need a $60k truck to make life work we figured out the little things in life pay great dividends.

18. RM&M

RM&M Member
    from ERIE

hahaha well put patrickc. thats so funny you say that because i think about 3 or 4 of my customers had hips or knees replaced this year and they make it a point to make it out the door and conversate after i mow or whatever im doing. and even though you dont get paid to BS its still nice to know theres other people out there like that too. being able to conversate with your customers and have a laugh or do a good free deed goes pretty far i have learned. because they all have friends....lol. somedays i only get half of what i planned on doing done because i had to spend a extra half hour with people talking to them. but at the end of the day its fine by me because i have no question as to wether ill be going back the following week or not.

and i like when i get a new shovel too! but my juices really get going with a new leaf rake!

19. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

yeah and they don't pay you after you do the work.

20. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I'll tell you what is fustrating....LowBallers. I'm talking about the yahoo who has a junk truck on it's last leg, no insurance, pays no tax, has no idea what salt costs or their time and then bids a property which lets say costs $150 to plow, $49 in salt material and some how quotes the property 60 bucks for everything. Yes - stuipd clients will bite until they get bit.

Keep lowering the industry rate - then who wins?

As for spending 60k on a truck .... I believe those mgmt companies are only trying to figure out if you are reliable and ones equipment is usually a clear sign of the person. Just like interviewing for a job. If you show up looking like a slob well then your probably not hired.