1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frustrated and need HELP!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tblocher, Jan 10, 2009.

1. tblocher

tblocher Junior Member

Blown Headgasket or ??????

After having my '89 GMC 2500 4X4 in the shop 3 times in the last month to fix an oil leak I now have a new problem. (no, I'm not getting a different truck.)
    After picking it up from the shop the other night it began running "rough" under heavy acceleration going up a hill and proceeded to lose lots of power. It sounded like lifter noise at first but once I got home it started fine and idles fine. However, when I hit about 1/2 throttle there is a "knock" and then it runs rough and doesn't't "clean out" until it goes back to idle.
    I am replacing plug, wires, cap and rotor this morning.....but I am praying that I don't have a head gasket problem.
    Is there an easy way for me to tell if I have a blown head gasket?
    Would that explain the symptoms?
    Thanks for any and all suggestions and help!!
    Tim Blocher
    Aquatics Unlimited

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Not a head gasket could be a knock sensor which controls timing and fuel timing could be off.

So they were repairing an oil leak (what did they replace)?

3. tblocher

tblocher Junior Member

re: oil leak

They replaced the oil cooler adapter. (after trying to get the old one to seal 2X)
    They also replaced the lines to the oil cooler.
    I did the tune up yesterday, plugs, wires, cap, rotor etc. It idles alot better but still has the knock and loss of power under heavy acceleration.
    I'd like to know more about the "knock sensor".
    When I say it has a knock, it REALLY sounds like a deisel under heavy acceleration.
    Tell me more..........
    Thanks for the reply!!
    Tim Blocher

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

The Distributors in those were known for the magnets on the shaft cracking. Also the pickup coil (hall effect swtich) should be replaced in the distributor as well as the ignition module if it has never been replaced.
    T.J.

5. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

sounds like a sensor throwing the comp into limp mode or full rich...temp sensor ?
    any codes ??? there should be.

6. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Coil packs ? that year?

7. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

I have to agree with TJS I had that problem last season and took me awhile to diagnose what TJS just told you. Had a crack distributor shaft on the top of the magnets. Look down at the dist. with the rotor off and look for cracks in the top star shape magnet. If there is any cracks replace the shaft and that should solve your desiel running truck.

8. lubricity

lubricity Member

Fuel filter