1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frozen ?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jdbconstruction, Jan 24, 2011.

1. jdbconstruction

jdbconstruction Junior Member
    from ny

I have a unimount mvp plow. I just went out a while ago to move my truck and the plow lifted up, i set it down and brought it up again, after that i get no movement. Its -8 F here right now so i ran a torpedo heater in front of my truck for about half an hour. It eventually would go up and down but no wing functions. I moved my truck then went back out 15 minutes later and same thing no movement. Even in float i could nt get the lift arm down standing on it. I think its frozen fluid in the control block but not really sure? The motor runs and the wings want to move, so i m pretty sure its not electrical, Any ideas

2. Davidl79

Davidl79 Junior Member

Sounds like it could be frozen. I would check to see if you have good connections at the battery and the solenoid. I had a solenoid melt on me this year and it was acting up a little before it went. You might also want to take the fill plug off and see if it is full of air. Hope it's something easy!!!!!!!

3. jdbconstruction

from ny

I really doubt the electrical since recently i ve went thru it with a fine tooth comb, i really hope it s just frozen cause of the extreme cold here, plus ive been running atf not the western plow fluid. I'm gonna put it in a heated shop tomorrow and switch to the western fluid to see if it makes a difference.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That'll fix it as long as you pull the reservoir and also flush the entire system including the rams and hoses as well. Good luck.

5. jdbconstruction

from ny

i don't have my truck right now to look at but is it easy to pull the reservoir, and is that where the screen filter is?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As long as it's not excessively corroded pulling the reservoir isn't difficult. And yes the screens are located on the tubes in the reservoir. Also, if it doesn't have a magnet inside the reservoir add a small one while it's off. Just a good preventative measure.

7. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Hello JDB
    If it's any help,about a month ago I hada simular problem .My two plugs for the plow both truck side as well as the plow side were slightly corroded kinda green in color. A couple of guys on here Twinnman and No lead helped me out. By the way No disrespect to B&B he is awsome as well. All these guys are super smart and I have seen the help B&B gives and is usally dead on. So anyway getting back to your problem check those plugs and get your self a can of BREAKCLEAN and DIELETRIC GREASE. and a vey small wire brush.

1st-- spray the crap out of both plugs with the breakclean and let sit a min or two
    2nd-- Use the wire brush and gentley clean the pins and make sure none of them are bent

3rd-- Do the same for female plugs

4th--After all that apply a medium size amount of the grease to both plugs and put them together and check you plow out.

5th-- Even if it does not correct the problem this is still a good measure to do any way. That is what happened to me and then after I did all that the plow worked fine.

Hope this is a little bit of help GOOD LUCKThumbs Up

8. Hi all
    I'm having a similar problem...2002 F350 4x4 with western 8.5 mvp plus.
    when i turned on the hand controller (light came on) the plow wouldn't respond.
    turned it off and tried a few minutes later and everything worked.
    this happened several times during the night.
    my boss says use the diaelectric grease (as mentioned above) on the fitting and i'll be good to go.

any other suggestions to try? I have a small storm coming into Toronto and using the blowers really ain't an option and the other driver is not fast enough (because he's driving the pretty truck/bosses toy) to cover my properties...so i'm getting real nervous about this solution....it's been very cold here (-15c average) and heating it is not an option...
    thanks for reading and any responses.

9. DIRISHMAN

Hey goalie try what I said and also try to look for guys on here NO LEAD<TWINNMAN B&B they are all super smart on this stuff hope this can Help and it would be more help to you to start another thread this way they can help or anyone else on here Thumbs Up Good LuckThumbs Thumbs Up

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Would the pump motor at least run when it didn't respond?

11. Just a quick update....just prior to it breaking down the batteries were replaced (both). I found a lose ground cable (tighten it myself), then tried the plow again....new symptom...flashing red power light and it would click when I pushed any button on the controller....so a 6 hour night became 12+ (without the plow) and it appears to have been a problem with the solenoid on the front of the plow, connected to the hydraulic piston to raise/lower.....going to pick up the truck later and will find out then exactly what was wrong and will post it in case someone else encounters the same symptoms/issues.

Thanks again

12. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

JDB
    How did you make out with the plow acting up??

Thanks guy for the nice replies regarding how I and the others really give a helping hand. It is nice to hear something good :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  13. DIRISHMAN

ANY TIME THERE PARTNER

MOM ALWAY SAID IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY!!! KEEP YOU MOUTH SHUT!!! ALSO KEEP YOUR OPINIONS TO YOUR SELF BECAUSE EVERYONE HAS ONE

GREAT JOB TO ALL--- AND YOU ALL KNOW WHO YOU ARE THANKS AGAIN

DIRISHMAN/DENNIS MAC Thumbs Up:)

14. jdbconstruction

from ny

The fluid was frozen up in the bottom of the pump and in the hoses.Since that was my spare pump on there i went all thru my other pump and just switched them out and flushed the fluid and that fixed it right away. Thanks again for all the help

15. dancing bear

dancing bear Junior Member

i had the same problem with my unimount,after it warmed up and started working i was told to put a cap full of alcohol in the oil tank i dont know if it was a good idea but after diong it i havent had any more freezing problems

16. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

JB...Glad to hear you resolve the problem..Safe plowing..

Hope you put on a new motor gasket before you put the motor back on..