1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frozen Waterfalls

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by Alaska Boss, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Frozen waterfalls are everywhere in Alaska during the winter, & sometimes are formed in very spectacular formations,... :eek:

waterfalls III (Small).JPG

2. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

In this case... there was some wind blowing as this falls was freezing... causing "water caves" to form while it built up...

waterfalls close-up (Small).JPG

3. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

In the case of larger ones, climbing frozen waterfalls is a popular winter recreational activity in this area,... :eek:

climbing a frozen waterfalls (Small).JPG

4. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

WOW...and i thought it was cool when run-off from the tops of mountains freezes running down to the road.

5. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Ok last pic puts it in view WOW ... Must be too cool to walk on or up to..

6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Multnomah Falls was just on the news here the other day showing its frozen state. I guess it doesn't often freeze like it did. Those are great shots.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I just looked at your other thread. Despite the fact that these are beautiful and awesome pictures, I'm going to have to ask you to stop. I'm either going to have to move or buy several keyboards because I keep drooling over them. ;)

I'm not so sure about climbing a waterfall, that ice gets sort of heavy.

8. streetsurfin'

I can't help but wonder if that pink patch in the snow at the base of the fall is from someone that fell.

9. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Those pictures are totally awesome! Thanks for taking the time to share them. :)

10. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

wow....i really love the outdoors

11. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

same thing crossed my mind street

12. streetsurfin'

I don't know anything about ice climbing. Maybe it is just a marker dye to give a reference for depth perception.

13. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

its probably a pile of rope at the bottom. just too hard to see from the distance we're looking from.

Guys climb the ice falls in upstate NY up by exit 30 off the northway. they're a couple hundred feet tall too. you have to be insane to do that if you ask me.

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

"a pile of rope at the bottom"

As an avid rock climber and only ocasionaly a ice climber. The person in the blue jacket at the bottom next to the "red" spot is belaying the climer. The rope is goint to his right. The Red spot is the extra rope on the ground.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  15. streetsurfin'

boy, do I feel stupid now - d'ooohhh. Thanks.

16. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Well,.. I took a few more pictures of some frozen waterfalls I've gone by in the last few days, so just to show that not everyone here is getting ready to mow grass,... :D :waving:

Waterfall near mouth of Chitina River (Small).JPG

17. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Zoomed in on the same falls... many waterfalls have different colored ice in them, depending on the mineral content, etc, in the spring water that feeds them... :salute:

Chitina River waterfall (Small).JPG

18. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Another one showing green & yellow ice,...

Waterfall in Woods Canyon (Small).JPG

19. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Some of these are just little springs that keep building up all winter til they look like a huge creek pouring out of the woods from above, when in fact they are nothing more than a tiny trickle,... more to come later....

Waterfall on road in Woods Canyon (Small).JPG

20. jeff45

jeff45 Junior Member

it looks like the rope that they climb up with?