1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frozen v-boxes

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by KSB, Dec 31, 2009.

1. KSB

KSB Member

Hi Guys, Been really cold here the last week and we have needed to spread a fair amount of sand, but have had a heck of a time getting it to come out of the v-box when we need it. I will go get a load on and in 15 minutes it will be frozen solid in the sander. How do you guys deal with this, any tips would be greatly appreciated. My arms and back are so sore from beating on the sander and my customers are starting to think I've gone mad. Please help.

2. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

How wet is your sand? Dry sand will not freeze. You can always put some anti cake agent in it, that will stop the freeze.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

mix either salt or magic in with the sand

4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I sprayed my sand last year with liquid calcium chloride and it never froze all winter. But that depends on what you are spreading the sand on or why your spreading sand?

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

a couple of bags of salt in a ton of sand will keep it from freezing

6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

There was a member on here in the past that would keep a gallon or two of winshield washer solvent with in case his sander would freeze up on him. He said that he would pour the solvent over the top and in a few minutes it would unfreeze. I've never tried it as I don't spread sand but it might be worth a try.