1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

frozen track on a fisher sander

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by project85, Dec 4, 2010.

1. project85

project85 Junior Member

i have a fisher sander that is frozen up. i cannot get the track to go or the spreader to spin. i would smoke a belt if i kept trying to get it to work. i need to know how to free this up. i've heard that i can put an impact to the track somewhere to make it spin, i couldn't see where i would do that. it was working fine in the spring when we put it up but a summer off and it is seized up. any ideas would be great.

LTKJDAD Junior Member

check to see if any links are getting caught on cross braces under spreader,also check gearbox for cracks and make sure to grease that bearing also check masterlink if chain is twisted
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What kind of spreader? Last time it worked was last season?
  4. performanceplus

performanceplus Senior Member

Do you see anything trying to move at all? Is the clutch moving? We had the same problem with our Snoway sander and it was a bearing that was frozen. Try putting a pipe wrench on the bearing near the gear box and try to move it. It could also be the chain that spins the spinner. It could be rusted still.
  5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

spray every inch of every chain and bearing with penetrating oil on the unit and let it sit awhile. use a pipe wrench on the shaft under the clutch near the drive pulley and turn it the same way it should normally turn. if it wont turn a bearing or chain is frozen. don't force it if it wont turn. you will break the gear box. loosen the drive chain a little bit and see what is frozen. loosen the spinner and see if it turns. then see if the clutch is free.

spreaders can be a pain in the butt. in the spring wash and lube every inch of it and tarp it for the summer