1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frozen Snowblower chute

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 4D Snow, Jan 12, 2009.

1. 4D Snow

4D Snow Junior Member

Running a 30" 12hp snowblower, which goes through pretty much anything. Problem is the chute control keeps freezing up, and then you can't adjust the chute tilt. It's has a remote lever connected by cables, which is where the freeze up happens. Any suggestions?
  2. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

use a small hand torch to heat it up when it happens. they're cheap and small enough to carry around with you. Just remember to keep the flame far enough back from it so you don't burn anything
  3. 4D Snow

4D Snow Junior Member

I have a poly chute though, would that still work alright? Thanks
  4. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

just keep the heat far enough away and you should be fine. just go slow and be careful. It shouldn't take too much to melt the ice and get you going again
  5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

get it thawed out and spray the crap out of it with Fluid FIlm. Mine used to do the same thing, and since I have started using Fluid Film, I haven't had one problem with the chute freezing up.
  6. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Ditto on the fluid film. Mr ariens used to do the same thing. Put fluid film in the top of the cable near the chute and keep spraying until it came out the bottom near the handles. Used a wad of permatex blue around the cable at the top and haven't had a problem since
  7. Dodge2

Dodge2 Member
    from ottawa

I had the same problem with my murray,, i just filled the cable with oil and then put a big drop of silicone at the end, No problem since than.
  8. 4D Snow

4D Snow Junior Member

Thanks everyone, for all your suggestions. I'll try the fluid film first and take it from there.