1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frozen Sand Piles

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rocksaranac, Aug 23, 2009.

1. rocksaranac

rocksaranac Junior Member

Thinking of doing our own salting and sanding. For keeping bulk sand, how do you keep your sand piles from freezing?
  2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Keep it dry and supplement with
    salt-shaker.jpg :D

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yup, what he said. It doesn't take much salt to keep it from freezing up, especially if it's well protected. I have gone as little as 8 to one with no problem.

Do some searching, or read through the ice management forum.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Mix with salt and keep the pile covered.Doesn't take much salt - I think mine was about 1:10.
  5. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Sometimes for masonry work, if the pile is frozen, we've shoved some metal culvert into the pile with a propane torch like the weed dragon shoved up it. Thaws the sand and dries it too.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If the pile is already frozen try breaking it up with a loader and then throw some salt on it.