1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frozen Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PJH Landscaping, Feb 5, 2009.

1. PJH Landscaping

PJH Landscaping Junior Member
    from Meriden

Hello everyone, a few days ago I got a half a yard of salt dumped into my truck bed. I have a tailgate sander so I usually keep the salt in my bed and load the sander as need be. But overnight it got really cold and it seems that the all of the salt froze up. Now I am talking abut the stuff in my truck bed, it is covered wit a tarp. Anyone know a way to unfreeze it so I can use it again? Thanks
  2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

You can get some bareground solution or magic and spray it over the top and it will losen right up. I had this happen to me just last week and within a half hour of spraying it my salt was ready to be used again.
  3. PJH Landscaping

from Meriden

Where would I go about getting some?
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

It might be easier to get dry Calcium chloride and windsheild wiper fluid

Or just put it in a heated garage
  5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Home depot had gallon containers of bare ground but they are putting all their spring stuff out now. If you arent in a rush you can get it online here http://www.bareground.com/ or from the home depot website. Shipping is usually about 3 days.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Huh, wonder where you got that idea from???? :drinkup:

Just warm it up.

Why does everybody think you have to apply something to it? You're making it way more difficult than it is. :confused:
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Or just buy a bag of magnesium and mix it with water, same thing and alot cheaper. If the temps warm up the salt will become loose again and then you can shovel it out. Salt is not meant to sit for very long as it atracts moisture and freezes. The heated garage is the best idea.
  8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

somone on here once suggested to drive to Flordia, but i think mexico would be a better idea.
  9. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

You dont have to, but you get the bonus of now having treated salt. He might not have access to a warm garage
  10. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i've heard that mexican beer will do the trick just as good a Ca or washer fluid....
  11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Yeah.....just drive it to mexico and get some beer. It will be ready to use then.
  12. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Really???? You mean if the salt had moisture and then is was really cold outside maybe it is frozen?? So like a frozen steak if you put it near something warm it will thaw out???

Can it be that easy?? Really, for us professional we should be able to come up with something much more involed than just park it in a heat shop. Or pre-load park it in the shop before the storm and have it thawed out before you use it., NO, STOP be some simple minded!!!

Now tell us the truth about how to do this. Where can I buy an expenisice spray thing so I have something to put the high-tech chemical on my frozen salt.

Ron G.
  13. PJH Landscaping

from Meriden

Thanks to everyone who posted, six gallons of winshield washer fluid and a bag of calcium chloride flakes later, all of the salt is broken up and ready to use again. Thanks:redbounce
  14. jahd4

jahd4 Junior Member
    from eastern

I heard diesel fuel will help break it up
  15. Bigmikesseasonal

Bigmikesseasonal Member

Try Liquid calcium chloride I have done it, and it will also pretreat your salt! Works great, Mike
  16. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Depending on how low the current temps are, you can always just hose it down with water and it breaks up. You just have to be quick about getting it out, but it works.
  17. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

18. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

19. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

Yeah if you don't have a heated shop.....I use a few gallons of windshield washer fluid