1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

frozen salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by InfiniteVenture, Jan 18, 2009.

1. InfiniteVenture

InfiniteVenture Junior Member
    from Ohio

Anyone have an easy way to break up frozen salt besides a sledge hammer? Someone suggested
    windshield washer fluid, or liquid calcium ? Help

2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

just what you posted works...also water.

3. InfiniteVenture

from Ohio

Thanks you.

4. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

If Its Bulk and Still on the Ground,Back Drag it and Re-pile it.If Its Bagged Carry it up On Your Salter Hold it As High as You Can Get it And Slam The Bag Towards the Ground as Hard As You Can.Have a Shovel Handy to Scoop Up All That Burst Out of The Bags.If Its In Your Salter Add Some Washer Fluid And Agitate With the Handle of your Shovel.Not a Funny Situation But It Happens.Acme

5. InfiniteVenture

from Ohio

Frozen Salt

Thanks, There's 3 ton of salt in my truck that's frozen -- so it looks like a box of washer fluid and a mattock is what I will be using.

6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Got a garage you could park in for a few hours? if so get it inside and blow a torpedo heater on the side of the vbox and it'll free up

7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

park it inside overnight

8. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

We had 4 salt truck issues due to freezing salt, 2 of them had the salt freeze in the hopper when it was -20 the other morning and 2 others that had clogged in the chute with frozen salt. One of the ones that got frozen salt in the hopper got a had chunk clogged in the conveyer and broke the conveyer! The others were okay after getting back in the heated shop. That is why we don't ever leave salt in them when we use them.

9. shepoutside

shepoutside Member

:rolleyes:Drive it to Florida, and write the trip off

10. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

don't ever put a pipe wrench on the gear box shaft and try to turn it over either.....broke my ring gear last year to the tune of $400 plus labor...

11. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I had the same problem last week. Went and got loaded with salt and the last guy who ran that truck didnt empty it. !!!(he should have empyed it, i should have checked.)it was only about half a yard but it had sat outside in below zero temps for a couple of days and it now was under a fresh 1.5 tons dropped on top of it. I pulled it into our shop, and poured about 12 gallons of liquid well brine on top of the salt and within 10 mins i was spreading salt ! Before we had liquid at our shop we used to pull the trucks in and turn the heat up to 70 and with 6-7 hours it was ready to go !

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  12. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Why were you using salt in -20 degree weather anyways?

13. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

We had snow last week during the day here, about 3.5". We did cleanups that night, it was only -18 here. Cleanups include salt.

14. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

Did the salt do anything?

15. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I spread the other day when it was 0 and dropping and it worked fine

16. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

It sure did, worked great once I got it out of the v-box. It was bulk salt treated with Ice Ban.
    Great product.

17. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

sure did sun came up next day and lots melted clear.