1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frozen salt in bed...ALOT!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by terrapro, Feb 3, 2013.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I have about 1000lbs of frozen bulk in the bed of my 3500 pickup. Is there anyway to get this **** unfrozen? I have around 100gal of lcc in my dumptruck do you think that would melt it or just make stuff worse? I have heard that windshield washer fluid can melt frozen salt apart thats why I wondered about lcc.

2. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

:laughing:HOT WATER. and plenty of it . hook a hose to your HW heater and ****** . I'v had to do it many times :laughing:

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Tarp off the entire bed all the way to the ground, including between the cab and the bed, then run a short section of dryer vent hose back under the skirt. Let the truck idle (outside!) for an hour or two..no danger of fire like with a reddyheater or top hat propane..

4. Buswell Forest

from NH

I would not put water in there with it, you're just adding 3000 pounds to the bed...use the tarps and the truck exhaust.

5. terrapro

from MI

LOL oh my god I never thought about that. That is the best friggin idea I have ever heard! If I could do that before I plan to go out I could still use the salt. :salute:

What happened was I didn't finish off a load and still had some plow only places I needed to take care of and the salt froze then. I figured I could just get some more and dump it on top, wrong that froze! This batch must have been moist already because I usally have salt in the bed of this truck and as long as i get it covered when i get home its semi good but this stuff just froze into a brick in a mtter of hours.

6. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

inside a garage and a ready heater

7. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Windshield washer solvent. Works every time.

8. terrapro

from MI

I am willing to do that but how much? Will a couple gallons break up what is in there? And for how long?

9. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I've tried the washer fluid, didn't work for me. I probably didn't use enough, or something.

10. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Try 5-10 gallons. Leave it sit for an hour and then try to work it with a shovel. It should be ok, if its still too hard move around what you can and put another 5 gallons on it.
    Good luck.

11. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Calcium works good, if you have it id use it before id use windsheild washer fluid. First choice would be a heated garage for a few hours. Electric jack hammer has also been used before!

12. terrapro

from MI

I have liquid calcium so I will try that too. No heated shop at the moment but I might have to bring it over to my buddies tomorrow.

13. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

did u get it out

14. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

BRILLIANT idea ! im a try that

15. terrapro

from MI

LCC works. A couple gallons spread out and let it soak in helped break it up.

16. Buswell Forest

from NH

You know how some dump bodys and some sanders are now heated by truck exhaust? Guy in my town (next town over, but it's all the same here) "invented" that and put a patent on it.

17. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

Dumb question but what is LCC?

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Liquid calcium chloride?