1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frozen recoil

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by tcfirerescue13, Jan 24, 2011.

1. tcfirerescue13

tcfirerescue13 Junior Member

so yesterday here in Western New York it was -6degrees, and we had recieved a few inches of snow and i wanted to plow the driveway. went out to the garage to start up the quad and the recoil wouldnt budge. i know this past summer i had got some water in there while out riding and now its froze. does anyone know of a way to drain the water or a way to keep it from freezing. any suggestions would be great!

2004 polaris sportsman 400 w/ 48"plow

2. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

I am not sure how a Polaris is set up, maybe take the recoil cover off and make sure it is free of any obstructions and dry out any water that may be in there.

3. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

if you think you have water in it i will tell you its not just water, its mud and even in the summer the mud dries out to be like concrete, i won't even think about pulling out my recoil lol after that you might as well cut the rope and get a new battery lmao

4. Kenkreger

Kenkreger Member

Pull the rope up a bit and dump some anti freeze inside. The warm it up with a hair dryer until it releases. (Don't tell your wife) Once runnig the engine will thaw it out. Go plow, then remove your recoil and clean and dry it out
    Ken

5. gemarsh

gemarsh Junior Member

Rubbing alcohol would be a better choice than anti freeze at this point.