1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frozen Rams

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cabin Fever, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Junior Member

The angle rams on my old Western plow (cable-controlled) are stuck angled to the left. I cannot move the plow from side-to-side by pushing. I am 90% certain that the 4-way valve is working and I know the pump works. I believe that moisture has gotten into one or both of the angle rams and has frozn. So, I plan on taking the rams inside to thaw out and see if I can push the pistons in and out.

At any rate, my question is when I replace the rams on the plow can they be empty of fluid? Or, do I need to "bleed" the system somehow to get fluid back into the rams and hoses and the air that will be in the system out? If I need to bleed the system, how is this done?

Thanks guys....
  2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Not quite sure if I am following ya......

Yes you can install your cylinders with no fluid in em, it will take a bit to get the air out and you will need to cycle the plow a bunch of times and keep adding fluid but its no big deal.

You want to flush your system, especially since you think you got water in there. Why do ya BTW? or is it just because they wont move. When was the last time it worked? Have you tried pushing on something while trying to angle? Lightly of course.....

Be carefull when you unhook the lines, there can be residual pressure and it can be ALOT!
  3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

also, how about becoming 100% certian the valve is operational. Howd you check it? Are your lines twitching when you try to angle it? is the blade moving at all?